PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pux3

Lurker
Feb 7, 2013
Hello fellow pipesmokers,
I bought my first pipe 3 days ago.

Since it is a new pipe, it still needs to build up cake. (It has got this black carbon? layer but I read that it still needs to build up cake)
Now I ask myself if I should clean the bowl after each smoke, just like I read in tutorials on pipe cleaning?

Doesn't it prevent the building of a good cake? Maybe don't clean the bowl for the fist 3 times?
Also I do not seem to get much taste out of my pipe/tobacco. If anything it tastes like ash.

The pipe is a Butz-Choquin big bowl

The tobacco I got with it was recommended by the guy at the tobacco shop. (I asked for a cheap one) It is a german aromatic.
Is this just because I am not experienced enough and as soon as I am getiing the hang of it the pipe will taste better? Or could it be the tobacco/pipe?
I apreciate you reading,
Jonas :)
(not native speaker so please excuse some grammar/spelling errors)

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
Welcome to the forums!

It will help you build up cake if after every bowl you twist in a papertowel sort of like a corkscrew
The tobacco I got with it was recommended by the guy at the tobacco shop. (I asked for a cheap one) It is a german aromatic
I think you answered that question when you said cheap and aromatic..look into a more quality tobacco and smoke slowly

You'll get the hang of it...I did :wink:

pux3

Lurker
Feb 7, 2013
Thank you!

I'll do that from now on.

This weekend I'll get to try some tobacco from my friends dad, hopefully his tastes better :P

I'm in my last year of school (19 y.o.), which is why I don't have much money and was looking for cheap tobacco, just to try it out but maybe something in the middle price range would have been better.

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
You can get inexpensive/good tobacco...look into Lane ltd, Stokkebye and the like.

I'm not sure whats available where you are tho

sebastian

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2013
I don't remember who I am quoting here, but I once read it on this forum, and it does seem to hold true in my experience: "tobacco rarely tastes like it smells" and "those that smell good generally don't taste good".
ETA:

Oh! Welcome to the Forum!

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
I don't remember who I am quoting here, but I once read it on this forum, and it does seem to hold true in my experience: "tobacco rarely tastes like it smells" and "those that smell good generally don't taste good".
I think Hobie said it best once..The worse it smells the better it smokes

pux3

Lurker
Feb 7, 2013
Thank you for those tips rothnh!
There is only one tobaccoshop where I live, they have a huge sortiment and I'm sure they can provide me with some samples.
It is awesome to get so much attention and suggestions on my first post haha, appreciate it very much!

Status
Not open for further replies.