PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
When a member is banned, how does the site make sure they can't just make a new account and start again?
When the site is redesigned for June, will banned members still be unable to come back?
Just stuff I think about while eating lunch.

upnorth1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2017
La Belle Province, Canada
Unless they use a masking service or VPN service the forum logs their specific IP address. Each computer has it's own unique number. I actually use a VPN service for my online activity.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
The short answer is, with just a little work, anyone can disguise their IP or log in from Starbucks... and if they act like a jackass, they get booted again - these people just can't manage not to. But it becomes more and more difficult for them to do so, and many forums withhold certain priveleges, trading or PMs or whatever until members have a significant history of being useful contributors, so the damage they can do is limited anyhow usually.
It's kinda no big deal, really.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
All the new members are actually reincarnated non-persons from the past, lurking and preparing a hostile takeover. Then every thread will be about which blend to smoke while barbecueing your neighbours and whether or not to use the Frank Method :rofl:

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Worried about someone in specific coming back, or how to beat the system if you get daboot? :puffy:
I can just imagine some characters from the past coming back post refresh.
Unless they use a masking service or VPN service the forum logs their specific IP address. Each computer has it's own unique number.
kind of how I thought it worked, with blocking specific IP addresses.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Most people would just take the hint they're not wanted and go elsewhere. I'm not sure the Admins go to the trouble of blocking every IP. This site seems to have minimal amount of trolls compared to others I've participated in. And yes, someone with even mediocre skills could mask their IP. I personally don't understand why one would go to the trouble but there are some strange folks out there.

If you guys had of checked out the last radioshow, with Kevin, they discussed banning. And even when I was a moderator, I saw that the folks that get banned, 99% of the time ask for it. Ask for it by acting defiant or by just ignoring moderators. It's not like a good person gets banned for driving over 55mph. It's more like someone gets pulled over for speeding, and then they draw a weapon on the officer... suicide by police.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Hell, over 50% of the members who are most active here is really just a very industrious 14 year old girl with a couple of her dad's old laptops in the basement.
Gotta go. My dad is calling.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I remember one guy essentially lost his mind and dared Kevin to ban him, and so, Kevin obliged. The guy was mad about it, but what did he expect? He wasn't bigger than this forum or the man who owns and runs it. :crazy:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Folks who really want to raise hell have the whole internet as their playground, the devil's workshop for sure. I can't imagine they'd spend much time and energy on any particular site. Many kicked off Forums were interesting in one way or another; some were just hurting and venting; a few were really expansive in their pipe knowledge and had many good ideas, but just had that kick-ass side. Sorting people out is always tough. I've had a few friends who were downright dangerous; you just have to do your best by them and yourself.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
The Frank Method is the name of my Sinatra cover band.
Somehow it just wouldn't seem right for you guys to sing My Way.
I remember one guy essentially lost his mind and dared Kevin to ban him, and so, Kevin obliged.
I remember that lol ... you gotta admit it was at least original. I wonder if he really expected Kevin not to do it.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Brian64: I think he thought he was bigger than this forum, and he learned the hard way that he wasn't.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
And yes, Cosmic, Ginny, the 14-year-old girls is a hard little worker and knows more about tobacco pipes and leaf than most of us ever will.

Status
Not open for further replies.