PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

slowwideturns

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2012
I want to ask everyone on here where would be a good place to look for a pipe cabinet? My next question would be am i better off making my own? Ive made a few pieces of furniture in the past so i know im capable but i just thought i would get everyone's opinion.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I agree, make your own if you have the skills and tools. Really nice cabinets go for around $300, so I think you could save some coin. Someone here just built a beautiful craftsman grade cabinet. Look that up and get some advice from him.

gecko13

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 2, 2011
Goodyear,AZ
I build pipe cabinets and other items for folks, but I'd never be one to discourage anyone from making their own. Look around on line and you'll find a lot of ideas. Look past what many cabinets are designed for, and think of how they can be modified to become a pipe cabinet. I think the looking and designing is half the fun of building one. Let me know if you'd like some links, pictures and ideas.
:puffpipe:

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
It wasn't originally built for pipes, but I use an old china cabinet... Works well for me.

It was my mother-in-law's and was built in the 20's.
IMG_1534.jpg

IMG_1532.jpg

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
I'm glad this thread popped up. I've been scouting antique and second hand stores for cabinets I can use for pipes. I've seen a few that could work, but I'm taking my time to find the right one.
I say if you can build, build one. You'll get exactly what you want, and a unique piece. I'm slightly handy with tools, but not that great, so I'm going the modded cabinet route.
I wouldn't rule out buying a premade one if it struck my fancy though. I've come to accept that I get weak when it comes to spending money on pipe stuff...

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
It"s been the pipe racks and cabinets you get , older ones were made for smaller pipes, older days smaller pipes, space ing is too close, indentions not deep enough, plan a couple of rows for really big pipes, angles are too straight up, vibration can make them fall out, I live in a 100 yr old house on piers, new homes on slabs you probably won"t have that problem, wife got a whoop-t-do washing machine and when it spins watch out brother, had to move my cabinet as pipes were doing the Mexican cha cha LOL. The old cajun

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
Agree with what many have already stated... if you can build your own... that way you will get EXACTLY what you want and it will fit the area you want if for even better.
Of course that could be because I make custom furniture. :)

gecko13

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 2, 2011
Goodyear,AZ
@cajun, that's the truth. I build mine with adjustable shelf/supports, and the bottom cradles the bowl for stability. The router-ed indents of the older designs doesn't offer adequate support for the pipes and they tend to rotate and then fall, as in the case of the bent style.

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
you could build me a pipe cabinet and send it to me and i will let you know how it works :rofl:

slowwideturns

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2012
I was leaning towards building my own but i thought i'd ask what you all thought. To answer the question about pictures and when you can see it, it will be a few months probably because i tend to be a bit of a perfectionist and im also about to move back home to indiana so i plan on doing it after that. It will be a nice winter project.

smokindawg

Can't Leave
May 25, 2011
Yep, if you have the experience and the tools then a build it yourself is the way to go. You get a lot more for your money and can make it exactly what you really want.

Status
Not open for further replies.