PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
So I have a freehand and a country gent, used to love the gent, but now since really switching to briar I find the draw too open in the gent.
Does anyone have any way to remedy that situation? filters and what not, I have a couple paper filters but they kinda suck, other than that any ideas?

kf5eqv

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2011
Oklahoma
draw.. to open? :crazy: That does not compute with me.
Pack tighter as suggested above, or maybe s Savinelli balsa filter.
I don't know, I smoke different tabacs in my cobs then I do in my Briars, maybe that would help.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Other than somehow obstructing the airway in the bowl with some expertly placed pipe mud, I think playing with filters is your only shot.
Or you can go completely rogue and shove cotton balls into the shank to act as a filter to tighten up the draw?
lol it's kinda crazy but I kinda want to try it at the same time... :crazy:

kf5eqv

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2011
Oklahoma
Maybe a churchwarden Forever Stem? That won't really "restrict" the airflow, but it might make the draw feel cooler and more natural to you.
No such thing as too open a draw for me.

O rly?

traditional_smoke_via_a_big_bamboo_pipe_in_yunnan_u73-737493.jpg

lol.

dylan793

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2011
Buchanan, GA
I understand what jchaplick is saying. I took about a 2month hiatus from the cob, and after smoking briar exclusively, the cob draw feels "too open". Almost like breathing with no resistance at all. I dunno how to remedy it jchaplick. I don't want or feel like messing with filters. For me, my cobs are on temporary leave :? I just like my briars more at the moment

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
Different style of pipe from a briar, different draw, calls for an adjustment in technique.
baskerville, kf5eqv, and flyfishn have all suggested exactly what I do.

Pack a little tighter.
To which I'll add, sip a little lighter (-:

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
"Where is the best place to buy the balsa filters? "
i git em from my B&M. Very inexpensive, u need 6mm balsa wood or Saveleni filters. They keep crud out of mouth and turn down the draw just a hair. I tried packing tighter but then u have a re-lighting issue. Even tho they r 6mm. sometimes i put em in my 9mm lorenzo just for a nice dry smoke and since 9mm is so large, it slows the draw down to just bout perfect

Status
Not open for further replies.