PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bostonbill

Lurker
Jul 26, 2010
Bahston
Hey all- when I smoke (anything), part of my enjoyment and expectation is for there to be... well a good amount of smoke with each puff. I hate it when there's barely enough smoke to see/taste. I get that it might vary by tobacco blend, dryness, pipe, filter (if applicable) and so on. But is it unreasonable of me- as a somewhat less experienced pipe smoker, to expect good volumes of smoke?
I ask because I want to know if I'm doing something wrong- packing, drying, tamping...
If you smoke the same tobacco in the same pipe(s), do you usually get a consistent volume of smoke per "puff?"

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Boston there is a plethora of information on here about "thin" and "thick" smoke.

Generally a thick smoke (while very tasty) may actually mean that the pipe smoker may be smoking too hot and too fast.

Python has some videos that address packing techniques, and Birmingham0irish and I have blogs that address the art of the "slow smoke".

You can trust what Birmingham0irish (Raymond) says he is our current National Slow Smoke Champion, recently crowned at this years Chicago Pipe Show.

There is a lot of good information in the links below, in the blogs start with the bottom most entries and work your way up.

Enjoy.
Packing Methods
Due Diligence

Dottle Diggers

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I'm with you, Boston. Nothing's worse than a thin smoke, irregardless of how tasty it might be. I'd compare it to drinking weak coffee or tea.
For me it's a blend-related issue, and hit-or-miss; but, as Lawrence suggests, that may be due to inappropriate packing for the given blend.

At times even an "old reliable" blend will taste feel washed-out, and that may be due to atmospheric humidity.
I'd really like to hear more input and opinions on this because, like Boston, I think it's a common problem.

For me, smoke volume, or density, or mouth feel, influences my blend choices nearly as much as flavor.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Please don't miss understand what I meant by my post.

I too enjoy a puff that you can take a bite out of and chew on for a while, especially when it comes to a sweet aromatic, like Paladin's Black Cherry, or a rich "Balkan" (I know I did my homework on latakia mixes, Kevin).
All I was saying is what Cortez picked up on, packing problems, or maybe smoking too fast could diminish the experience.
I remember a while back when we all were discussing puffing techniques; I interjected that a few short quick puffs just prior to one long luxurious puff is what was required to keep the pipe lit and interesting... or something along those general lines.

bostonbill

Lurker
Jul 26, 2010
Bahston
@pstlpkr: Hey- no prob. I got your meaning, and appreciated (and read) the links you provided. I simply don't know for example, if I pack right. I just can't smoke often enough with the same tobacco enough to form the habit- I switch tobaccos too much because I love variety. So everyone- keep the posts coming! And over the next few weeks I'll try to experiment with one blend enough to be sure I can at least pack that one correctly for the smoke I enjoy.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I think we all switch up a lot.

That is one reason I like Lane 1Q as my utilitarian smoke.

It keeps me grounded, in as-much-as it gives me a base that helps me to enjoy those smokes that I smoke on special occasions or that match a particular mood/desire and pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.