PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deuce26

Can't Leave
Jan 29, 2014
Slidell, Louisiana
Mates,
Bought an Estate Tinder Box basket pipe recently. It smoked fine for a few weeks, but recently it has a tight draw that is a problem. I'm running pipe cleaners through it no problem. Interestingly, when I pull the stem and just draw on the stem the draw seems really tight. Any thoughts on correcting this would be greatly appreciated.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Was it like that to start with? If not, then I'd say you either have something stuck in there, or some build up.

If it was like that when you bought it, there are ways of opening the draw.

Got any pics?

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
So you can run the cleaner through the stem okay? Sounds like you've got some nasty sludge tar buildup. Is it a sttraight pipe or bent?

goldsm

Can't Leave
Dec 10, 2013
Did you tried use a bristol pipe cleaner with 91% alcohol or Everclear?

Insert pipe cleaner in the stem about 1 hour.

And start clean out and wash out with warm water.

deuce26

Can't Leave
Jan 29, 2014
Slidell, Louisiana
It's a straight. I am just running a soft pipe cleaner through it. I'm gonna try with some alcohol on it and if that doesn't work get a stiff bristle pipe cleaner. Thats great advice...thanks. I'll let you know how it turns out. Can't figure out how to post pics yet.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
A bristle pipe cleaner does a better job at cleaning out build up in the stem. Soak the pipe cleaner in alcohol, then insert it fully through the length of the stem and leave it alone for an hour. Then start scrubbing. You may be surprised at what comes out.

Status
Not open for further replies.