PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

doctorthoss

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 6, 2011
This question is for those guys who have purchased the "Forever Stems" for MM cobs:
I have been thinking about investing in a couple of these, but I have a concern. Namely, I have a lot of cobs and it seems pretty rare that any single stem will fit more than one or two pipes. In fact, very few of the stems seem to even fit the pipe they came with! So, do these stems actually work with all MM cobs or will I just be spending money on stems that won't properly fit my cobs?

Thanks in advance.

javajunkie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2013
MM seems to make a fairly standard pipe, and there should be perfect interchangability. And, FWIW, Walker Briar Works has their stems marked as to which styles they fit; there seem to be two "sizes", except the mini, which seems too teeny to work.
Also, they rock, so I do hope you get one or more and enjoy! o)

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
I have two and they are designed to fit any of the filtered MM cobs. I personally have used them on a Diplomat, Country Gentleman, Legend, and General and they all fit fine.
My understanding is that they make a different size to fit the unfiltered cobs. I guess there might be a size difference on much older cobs but all the current production ones seem to be pretty standardized.
Overall, I'm extremely happy with the purchase and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend that you jump in with both feet.

roadqueen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2013
I have a Forever Churchwarden Stem, and it fits all of my filtered MM Cobs. I also have a Fancy Lucite stem from Walker Briar Works and it fits the filtered stems as well.
There was an initial mix-up and they first sent me unfiltered pipe stems and sure enough...they will only fit unfiltered MM Cobs. :lol:

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
I plan on buying a couple of fishtail Forever Stems from Walker Briar Works. The only Forever Stem I currently own is a P-Lip...not my cup of tea.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I'm a huge fan of Foreverstems. I tend to smoke only Country Gents, and have had no fit issues. Can't speak for other models.
My advice would be to pick one up. Have no fear, you will be impressed.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I've got several cobs, and fitting them with Forever Stems is on my list of pipe-related projects... including a churchwarden stem for the Country Gentleman. Hooray for cobwardens! :puffy:

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
I have two that I purchased from an eBay vendor and really like them. I have 3 different unfiltered models, including an old one that isn't made anymore, and they all work well. There is one legend that I need a bit of beeswax to get it smooth but works like a charm now and way more comfortable.

cynyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 12, 2012
Tennessee
It has been my experience that genuine Walker Forever stems will always fit a new MM cob. I have had issues moving to a previously used cob, because the hardwood shank changes size based on moisture level. So, as long as you leave it alone, you'll be fine.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Got an E-mail from Walker Briar showing more color choices on forever stems, I have one on a General purchased from Walker and it makes the pleasure of smoking a cob even better.

brent

Lurker
Dec 14, 2013
Just wanted to add to this topic by giving a big thumbs up to Walker Briars Dave Wolff- I have 6 Forever Stems now

(all for the unfiltered cobs), they all fit perfectly.

When you receive one in the mail there is a note included that is right on: If the stem fits a particular cob slightly tight or loose, leave it in the pipe after a smoke until cool (as with any briar and vulcanite pipe)and after a few smokes the wood shank either expands or tightens slightly due to moisture and the heating/cooling process. It works!

I also can't say enough about the great service from Walker Briar on all my purchases- recently had a quality control issue with a stem, Dave immediately and cheerfully (at a quite a cost to himself) made it right.

Highly recommended!!!

Dec 24, 2012
I have a couple that I bought and they slid right into my MM cobs. Work great. Much better than that plastic crap.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I have three. One is on a nosewarmer cob that Dave modifies from a larger cob and two with the 5th Ave Diplomat cobs. All of my Forever stems are the nosewarmer size.
Love them. The nosewarmer cob is nice for shorter smokes but it actually cheaper to buy the Forever Stem and 5th Ave Diplomat separately. Saves you a few bucks plus the 5th Ave has a larger bowl. Tried putting a nosewarmer stem on the General, but it did not look right.
As others have said, unfiltered Forever Stems for unfiltered cobs and filtered Forever Stems for filtered cobs. I have the filtered and use them sans filter as the draw is much better.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have two formerly filtered pipes with Forever Stems that turn them into unfiltered, that fit great, and one

unfiltered pipe which, because it was smoked, accepts the stem fine but it sits a bit off the shank, but no problem.

You can have them made to any length up to maximum since each stem is handmade, so you get a custom stem.

They smoke perfectly and give that great, lightweight cob the feel of the finest briar pipe. Irresistible.

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
I'm just a cheapass and bought a bunch of my own stems (same as the forever stems) & opened up the airways the way I like 'em.

kokopiper

Lurker
Feb 4, 2014
does anyone know how the forever stems compare to the stems you can order at Pipe Maker's Emporium?

Status
Not open for further replies.