PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
If I find a blend I really like I tend to stick with it until I finally want some, at least temporary, variety and steer away from it for awhile. That blend for me is Odessa. Now find myself thinking my next order might veer away from that into more of a Virginia-Oriental genre as opposed to a blend with burley and latakia in it. Oriental Silk looks interesting. Never tried it. But, don't want something that comes across cigarette-like. What are folks' opinions of this blend? Thanks.

Jul 12, 2011
I tried this one and really didn't care for it myself. I will be leaving it in jars for a few years to see if anything improves with it.
What I did really like;

G. L. Pease - Temple Bar

G. L. Pease - Cairo

Peretti - Tashkent

Low Country: Cooper

Dunhill: Early Morning Pipe

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
I like Oriental Silk. It definitely gets better with age though, so I’d say try some out and then cellar some if you like it. I suppose you could call it a bit cigarette-like, but only in the Turkish cigarette sense. But the Perique and VA really round out the edges in a little time. I’d second Cairo as a better oriental-forward blend though.

rmpeeps

Lifer
Oct 17, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Oriental Silk is nice enough to keep 3-4 ounces around. The fact that you have Odessa on hand is better, as they go well together about half/half. The Oriental Silk is worth aging, but you might not see any perceptible changes for a couple of years. I’ve got a jar with 20 years on it and I’d put that up against any newer tin of Cairo.

Cairo has more depth and has a better balance.

Get a bit of both, you’ll be glad you did.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Have never had the pleasure of a GLP blend, simply due to my economizing. So, I gravitate to C&D blends. Sounds like Oriental Silk may be worth a go. Odessa is a fine blend, 1 of my top 2 favorites currently. Just (temporarily) getting somewhat tired of the burley/lat thing and finding myself starting to crave blends with Virginia.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
To me, Oriental Silk is musty, slightly pungent, and kind of herbal; it's a delicious blend with a sweet tobacco flavor and a very slight woody finish. The Perique works well in the mix without upstaging the complex flavors of the Orientals. No Latakia in the mix..

Status
Not open for further replies.