PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
All my pipes are straight save a Sav 320 that weighs 65g. I'm really interested in trying a hands free pipe and am drawn to the idea of a bent pipe for the purpose. Do folks follow a rule of thumb for weight and a degree of bend? Most of the pipes I'm looking at are somewhere around 56-68g with either a 3/4 or full bend. I imagine that heavily bent clenched pipes may have an issue with smoking wet. Is this your experience?

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
My pipes are all bents, mostly full, to some degree. The bend lets me see the flame and tobacco better when lighting. The "weight downward" of the bowl lets the pipe rest between my back teeth with my jaw a rest so no clenching, as defined, it just rests comfortably. When working I will sometimes exert pressure to keep the pipe in place. I have chewed up a bit or 10 over the years.
I tend to smoke wet, mostly likely because the pipe is usually in my mouth and not my hand. Never considered that a problem, it's just the way I smoke. I tend to have a wet mouth and do not blame the pipe or the blend.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
For me, the lighter the better, so I would not view a 320 as a clencher. As far as stem shape/leverage, the bend of the older Grabow Savoys or Omegas is perfect for me. Sav 673, not quite as bent, but mine is still a comfortable clencher. So that would be what, a 3/4 bend? A full bent stem rests on my chin in a way I find irritating, so no Oom Pauls for me. As far as leverage on straights goes, the shorter the better. I like nosewarmers for clenchers. The only full-length straight I find a comfortable clencher is a basket billiard with a really thick, clunky saddle stem.
EDIT: FWIW, I've always had more moisture problems with straights than bents. ???

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
For a real portable clencher, I'd keep a pipe light weight. Bear in mind, weight and bowl size are independent. Some of my lighter pipes -- I think of a Genod, and several Johs, and Savs -- have ample bowls. Also, remember with a even a smaller lighter pipe you can smoke flake (coin or plug, etc.) and have a long smoke. I like a 1.4 ounce or a little less for a clencher, but I can enjoy a 1.6, though I use heavier pipes when I choose. I have old teeth, and don't want stress and pressure pumping up my dental bills, if possible.

brudnod

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
My lightest pipes are the EA Careys (no snickering) partly because they are light. The clenching of these pipes is easy and allows you to do something else with your hands (again, no snickering!). When I am relaxing and meditating on the blissfulness of life, I usually use a heavier pipe, as most are.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Just took a peek. Looks to be a 1/4 to 1/2 bent, no? I'm thinking of something with a lot more bend and weight. Something like:

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/cavicchi/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=173003

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
@bigpond- I'd say the 673 is around a 1/2 bent; like I say, somewhat less of a bend than the Omega or Savoy, which I would put at a 3/4 bend. That Cavicchi looks to me like it's well on the way to a full bend. (When I mentioned the 3/4 bend in my earlier post, I was referring to what is an ideal clenching bend for me, not the bend of the 673. Sorry about the confusion.)
@PipeMonk- Yes, the 673 is a curious little critter! For such a short pipe, the bowl is quite large, and the bulldog bowl mated to the triangular shank is kind of an odd pairing. Comfy to hold or clench, and she smokes great, though. I've noticed P&C lists almost every bowl ID as 0.7". They were way off on this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.