Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

janosh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2015
Hungary
Hi all!

Last week I decided to buy a Zippo lighter because most of the time I smoke outdoors and butane lighters (and also matches) just made me embarrassing... Reading through the forum I noticed that most of you are using (or at least have ) Zippo lighters. I know that it sometimes may/might taste bad but don't care about that. Everything is better than a went out pipe without the possibility of relight.

And here is the problem! I can't find a Zippo pipe lighter in a 150km+ range. In Hungary we have national (yes NATIONAL, government controlled! ) tobacco stores with a very low interest in pipe smoking.

So I'm wondering if it is possible to light a pipe with a simple Zippo? (Probably yes) But without the pipe insert it is really damaging the rim of the pipe?

Thanks for the answers!

loneredtree

Part of the Furniture Now
May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
Although I do not use a plain Zippo, I do think you can light a pipe with one. I have read that you can drill out the standard Zippo to make your own pipe insert. Someone will supply the measurements no doubt. Perhaps you can find a Nimrod Commander in Hungry. I like that one better since it does not loose fuel as rapidly.
Good luck.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I remember an article in P&T magazine in, I believe 2004 about Zippos. They showed an old advertisement devoted to pipe lighting with a regular Zippo insert .

Maybe it available online? But yes,?it can be done. Good luck.

Mike S.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I have a couple of Zippos laying around. Only one has the insert. Either works well, very well in fact. I just shield the lighter with my body, works most of the time. The insert is much easier to control.

drumbumb83

Might Stick Around
Nov 23, 2015
I've read where people draw in the flame on there Zippo from the small holes on the side. I tried that and decided to just get a Pipe Zippo after putting a pretty good char on the rim. The hole is 1/2 an inch in diameter through both sides with a piece of metal covering the end. Shouldn't be hard to drill the hole bigger but may not look that pretty. Best of luck to you Janosh.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Here in the states Zippo will install a pipe insert for free and return the original to you as well, for about $5 in shipping. I once converted a fake Zippo to a pipe insert using a 3/8" drill on both sides. I didn't bother removing the wick, just used a variable speed drill slowly with a new sharp bit and didn't press hard, so I didn't damage the wick. (Obviously you want to drill one side, flip the insert over and then drill the other side). A drill press would be even safer.
What you don't get with a DIY is the wind-resistant top cap, but I didn't find it made much difference, and if you really wanted to get fancy you could fashion one from a piece of scrap brass.
That all said, years ago I had a slim version Zippo which wasn't available with a pipe insert, and it lit the pipe just fine.

janosh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2015
Hungary
Thank you for the answers and opinions!

Fortunately a forum member (mcitinner1) PMed me that he want to send me a Zippo lighter as a gift!

Guys, this community is just amazing!

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Welcome to the community Janosh. We had some guests from Hungary and I was very surprised when they told me about that government controlled tobacco stores.

mcitinner1 is a very kind guy. He is always helpful. Besides check your local Zippo dealer. Like they do in the States, some international Zippo dealers will repair and change the insert (you may ask for a normal or pipe insert) for free. Here is the link: http://zippo.hu/

janosh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2015
Hungary
Yes we have a strange situation here with this stores. More strange that they can only order tobacco and supplies from only one source. So we have some kind of MacBaren and Peterson tobaccos (both only the aromatic line) and that's all.

Yes, my first idea was of course to check the Zippo website but it's only a dealer's webshop. They don't repair or change inserts... They simply selling the lighters. I tried to order one online but they replied that is will be available in 4-6 weeks. This is our beloved country (yes it's irony).

janosh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2015
Hungary
Of course I used to buy from eBay, but in some cases -like this one- I have no trust (maybe I get a fake Zippo or an unusable one).

I've found the strike wheel on the pipe inserts to be inferior to regular Zippo strike wheels. For some reason it stops throwing enough sparks to ignite the wick. I have three inserts, and all three have stopped working very well. And, if they work, I have to grind down half a flint with continuous strikes before it lights. Whereas, my two regular Zippos are twice as old and work like a charm on the first strike. And, I have found absolutely no difference in the way the lighters without an insert light a pipe. I think that big hole in the side of the inserts is more about an illusion of being better for pipes than any actual function. Just use a regular Zippo sideways like the insert. The fire doesn't need a big hole to light through.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I've found the strike wheel on the pipe inserts to be inferior to regular Zippo strike wheels
Send them to Zippo they'll exchange them for free. All my Zippo pipe inserts light on the first flick.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
For some reason it stops throwing enough sparks to ignite the wick. I have three inserts, and all three have stopped working very well. And, if they work, I have to grind down half a flint with continuous strikes before it lights. Whereas, my two regular Zippos are twice as old and work like a charm on the first strike.
I just thought of something...I always light mine in the vertical (non-pipe) position then turn it sideways. I tried lighting it with the Zippo held horizontal and had to flick the wheel a couple times. So try lighting it upright and then turn horizontal.

tims

Lurker
Feb 8, 2016
I have about 20 zippos and only one "pipe" style (from the niagra falls plant) they all work fine to light a pipe.

I also have a few "chineese" Zippo copies , I drilled one out just fine , 3/8 bit and a dremal tool .

tims

Lurker
Feb 8, 2016
I have about 20 zippos and only one "pipe" style (from the niagra falls plant) they all work fine to light a pipe.

I also have a few "chineese" Zippo copies , I drilled one out just fine , 3/8 bit and a dremal tool .

I've tried both inserts successfully, but the side cut-out in the pipe insert is a noticeable improvement in the position of the lighter in hand, the duration needed for the light and the amount of flame contacting the rim. The flame remains inside of the cut-out and above the rim of the bowl until you draw on the pipe and then is drawn only into the chamber, much like a match light.

laeb246

Lurker
Jun 16, 2018
Thanks for the tips. I've been looking to use a Zippo and wondered if I could use or convert a regular insert. Now I know it's possible

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
One forum member advocates drawing the wick up to just above the top of the lighter. Says it works fine. I myself am very satisfied with my pipe insert.

Status
Not open for further replies.