PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bubblehead33

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 17, 2012
Canada
i got a tin of MacBarens the other day and tonight after i loaded a bowl i was looking at the tin. the date underneath was April of this year. the tobacco seems kind of dry but as ive never smoke this brand i have nothing to compare to. what are your thoughts on this. should i jar it right away or just leave it as is? thanks, Jeremy.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
If its a rectangular tin, you should be good for a week or so before you notice any appreciable drying. Two to three weeks for a circular tin. It's always good to jar it unless you plan on smoking the entire tin. That way, you do not need to worry about it.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
McBaren aromatics, which I smoke a tin of every six months or so, seem to keep fairly moist if I put the paper thingie back on the baccy and screw the lid back on tight. I've had one open in my baccy cabinet for about 2 months now with no ill effects and it makes the top layer nice and fairly dry and ready to smoke = no Mc Baren BITE
McBaren Navy Flake, Scottish Mixture and Symphony, on the other hand, seem to like going dry in about 3 weeks from opening, so they need jarring ....

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
I've noticed that MacBaren tins comes quite "dry" this is a good thing, make sure to jar it quickly in Ball Mason jars, they are like 50 cents each and come in packs of 12.

bubblehead33

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 17, 2012
Canada
@mrenglish and hawk its a round tin of Scottish Blend. i think what you guys are saying is sound advice. i have a bunch of other stuff on the go so i'll likely just jar it and keep it fresh.

Status
Not open for further replies.