PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

beezer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Greetings,
I've noticed recently in pics posted on this site that some pipers store the 250g boxes that Samuel Gawith puts out as is with their jars, tins, etc. How are these boxes sealed? Is the tobacco within the box in a mylar bag or is it something a kin to Stokkebye's 1.5 lb boxes that are meant for short term storage?
I've been considering stocking up on my favorite SG blends and these 250g boxes seem to be most economical. How long can one store the tobacco in these boxes? Do they bode well for long term storage?
I'd appreciate it to hear folks thoughts on these boxes. Thanks.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
They use a ziplock back to wrap the tobacco in. While moist, they would stay good for awhile but over time it will dry out. Best to transfer them into a quart sized mason jar if you want to keep the flakes intact or not fold them over. Each quart sized jar will hold approx. two 250g boxes.
I do both. I smoke a lot of St. James Flake so opening 500g at a time is OK, but I have also folded and stuffed them into smaller jars to sample as they age. You could also cut the flakes in half and use the smaller jars.

Status
Not open for further replies.