PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
Sitting down to enjoy a smoke with a friend this evening and I decided it would be a good time to pop the seal on one of my 8oz H&H tin. I broke open the Louisisana Red I've heard so many good things about and was excited to give it a shot. What I found was kind of surprising though?
The tobacco is really wet. Like not just pinch test wet, but soggy. I when I pinched it to inspect it left my fingers really covered in brown oils. I've never seen any tin of tobacco this wet, not even SG stuff.
This is my first large tin of H&H to open. I know a bunch of us bought them up on the $14.95 sale they had going. Anyone else see this?

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
That shouldn't have been that way. Call Pipes and Cigars.com at 800-494-9144 and explain the problem. We'll arrange to replace it for you.
Russ

msandoval858

Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
Russ, thank you so much for the response! I kind of figured this was abnormal. I'm assuming the tobacco would be fine if I just let it dry out but I was a bit surprised as I'd never seen one quite like this in a new tin.
I'll give them a call on Monday.

morton

May 3, 2012
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
I also noticed patches or maybe just sections of my tin of LR that seemed quite wet. I just put it out to dry a bit and it was all good. It didn't smell any different or after drying, burn any different so no problem. Love the stuff, will be buying a few more 8 ouncers to age very soon as TAD funds become available.

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
I bought a 4 oz. bag a week or so ago from Pipes and Cigars and it was nothing like what you described. A little moist in the bag but not wet. Had no problems with the tins either.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Does this blend bite at all? I am sensitive to red virginia's but I keep hearing how good this stuff is, and was thinking about trying it. How does it compare to say Escudo and Solani 633, to me those have no bite what so ever.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
If you smoke it too fast it can burn like any VA blend will. It's apples and oranges from Escudo, but Escudo and LA Red are my two current favorites in the VAPer department. Tin Note wise, LA Red has one of the best I've ever smelled! LA Red is ribbon cut, so using a billard shape and packing with the Harry Method works great. I like to smoke it in my pipes that aren't great flake pipes.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I've gotten into the habit of relocating all my tin tobacco to mason jars. Aros are notorious for extra moisture, even the good ones. If you like P&C's aros, try the Caramel Apple Pie. They have it in small tins now. It's up there with 1-Q and Halfling's Leaf as favorites!

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Here's my review of Carame Apple Pie. See if it sounds liek something you would try!

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/pampc-fusion-labs-caramel-apple-pie#post-165494

msandoval858

Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
I was planning on jarring this tin up when I opened but left itact when I noticed how wet the tobacco was. I just inspected what's on top. I have no clue how wet it is towards the bottom of the tin. I figured I'd leave it be until I talked with the fine folks at P&C to get their opinion.
Given the way it is now though, I could definitely see the possibility of rust depending on how long the tobacco has been in the tin. The metal on the bottom looks really new though so I doubt it's been that long.

grizzly86

Apr 5, 2012
Mine was the same way when I opened it a few weeks ago. I haven't really enjoyed it and have tried probably a dozen bowls. I wonder if it's cause of this. And yes I was drying it, about 3 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.