Question On How Your Categorize/Sort Your Pipe Collection.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

156 Fresh Peterson Pipes
24 Fresh Barling Pipes
12 Fresh Eltang Basic Pipes
48 Fresh Neerup Pipes
New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
I was wondering for those of you who have quite a few pipes in your collection, how do you sort them in your racks or draws etc is it by:
Brand

Size

Shape

Finish

Tobacco dedication
I'm curious as to how some of you go about doing this. If you even sort them at all.

Aug 1, 2012
I have a set of shelves now and they are first broken down by country, then further by factory or artisan and then by brand/sub-brand. So yes, my English GBDs are separated from my French GBDs.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
I don't think I have enough pipes as of now to sort them really. But it's nice to know how others do it.
I'm thinking I want to sort by brand and start collecting different shapes for each brand but I guess ill wait and see cause right now I pretty much only have straight pipes.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I feel that I have some underlying criteria, but I can't pin it down. I've thought of sorting

by nation of origin, brand, and shape. But the pipes end up sorted between three racks.

One of them has the most expensive pipes and a number that are particularly attractive

or valued as gifts. A second rack has pipes that are special for smoking characteristics

but don't fit on the first rack. And all the rest, most of which are also great smokers, go

on the 18 pipe rack -- a Dr. Grabow, two Iwan Ries made by Benton, two hand carved

pipes, etc. I don't designate pipes for kinds of tobacco, so that's not in play. I think it

is sort of inspirational.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
By brand here. I don't dedicate pipes to certain blends.
HERESEY!! Roth. I can't believe you don't have separate pipes for Va's,Va/pers/ English/ etc. I thought all of you experts in the field were afraid of mixing the subtleties of all of the nuances etc etc.
:)

Dec 24, 2012
I have 230 pipes and I organize them by brand/maker. For the pipes that aren't currently in my rotation, I store them in those Brigham stacking units, also according to brand/make.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
Horizontally.

rotation-600x448.jpg

erichbaumer

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
Dedication, then some specifics after that. One rack holds latakia pipes, another two aromatic pipes, two for VA, and two undedicated corn cobs. I have found ways within that order to do things that makes sense to me, mostly keeping pipes that have something in common with each other together.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
I just rearranged my pipes on the 18 pipe round double decker: they're all Petersons. Smaller Petes on top, larger on the bottom. My Peterson Straight Grain rests in its' case, separate from the others. My Savinelli churchwarden has its' own spot along the Qandale. The other three Savinelli, the Stanwell and the cob are work smokers so they tend to stay at work on their rack. I also have a couple other racks, for "just smoked, need cleaning" and "cleaned - resting".

I pretty much know which ones smoke what, so I have Latakia pipes, non-Lakeland VA pipes, Lakeland pipes, one aromatic pipe and one "everything goes" pipe. When in doubt, I sniff the bowls.

cavendish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2013
Kept together by the maker on my rack. They aren't in any order but they stay in the order they were put on the rack.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
By brand. I have about 60 pipes, and within each brand I pretty much know which pipe suits a particular tobacco

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
peck, 230 pipes and you only smoke 5 pounds a year. You have some serious issues my friend. You have enough pipes and tobacco for 6 guys like you. I could never keep track of 230 pipes and smoking 4-5 bowls a day could never give them the proper attention they deserve. You are tempting the pipe Gods by ignoring many of your pipes, it just is not right. Send me a list and I will pick some that will get the love they deserve.
To the question at hand, I sort my pipes by artisan. I have a manageable number(34) so I have no trouble keeping track of what blends go with their corresponding pipes.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
By Shape.
Never by brand.
My arsenal is about what I like, don't care so much about who made it.
Don't dedicate by tobacco type because the Burleys, Aromatics, and Englishes all play very well together. The few hot, biting, and dry Virginias, and Va/Pers I have foolishly purchased are used for blenders when my supply of H&H Larry's Blend, Plum Pudding, or Capt'n Black Dark runs low.

Dec 24, 2012
Harris, I like a wide variety of pipes, lol.
One mistake I made in the hobby is I bought too many pipes too early, before I really could get a feel for the type of pipes that I like. I do have 30 or 40 that may be making the trip to Mike at Briar Blues soon, and others I will probably just give away. I want to try to whittle it down to 150. I think that is a nice number.

petergunn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 3, 2013
I guess by country of origin, but I've got all English except 1 Danish. I could sort by shape but all I have are Zulus and Horns sooo...

Status
Not open for further replies.