PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Agreed. The button, the shape of the pipe (square shank bent billiard) and the style of silver screw all say pre-1920 to me.
Also, DANG that's a nice pipe!

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Really great pipe Tim, and it's absolutely pre-1920. Loewe was at the 62 Haymarket address for many years but moved a short distance away about 1911. Starting with the 1912 edition of the London city directory the company was listed at 58 Haymarket instead. So based on the sticker inside the case your pipe dates from 1911 or earlier. I'm traveling and don't have access to my library, but if you know someone who has Gary Schrier's Loewe Packet it includes a 1910 catalog. You might check it for a match.
In any case the lack of hallmarks and purity stamping on the pipe makes me wonder if it was intended for export, given the laws of the time.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Of interest, this pipe, however, the stem appears to have been "chopped" and "worked". At least that's my first impression.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-LOEWE-CO-Estate-Pipe-w-Tested-999-SILVER-Mount-Lid-Inc-Case-67g/173836658225?hash=item287978e631:g:JSMAAOSwSk5ciuUs

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
Ashdigger, i assume you are in Las Vegas ,if so I was the seller of that pipe and I was told the same thing from John Guss that loewes moved pre 1911.

The pipe bought by me and i had it cleaned by Dean @ estatepipeshop.co.uk about 2 years ago.I only smoked it 15 times after but I have too many pipes and needed to offload some.i hope you enjoy it

Paul

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Paul, sweet!! A "forum name" with a seller. I did my usual clean, that happens with any estate, and plan on smoking it later today.
I'm very happy with it, just wished it had hallmarks, but that's sauce for the goose.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
Indeed I wondered why no hallmark but bow to the suggestion of export by John Guss.

I found it smokes very well although the orific bit feels strange at first.

Enjoy, I am glad you are happy with it

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
I have another loewes I am thinking of letting go.It is dated 1906 i think.Whilst small in length it is a lovely pipe.The stem has not been butchered

s-l16002-600x344.jpg

s-l1600-22-600x431.jpg

s-l1600-14-86x150.jpg

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
hi paul,
let me put it this way. if the pipe was intended for the domestic market legally it would have had to be hallmarked. so if there are no visible hallmarks there are only a few, more or less mutually exclusive, possible explanations: a) it was an export pipe, b) the silver band is a later replacement, c) the hallmarks were there originally but have been entirely worn away, and d) Loewe either disregarded the law or through error sent out an unhallmarked pipe for domestic sale. i reject out of hand (d); i think (c) is very unlikely since even heavy buffing almost always leaves traces; (b) i can't evaluate from pictures, a knowledgeable person would have to have the pipe in their hand (and i believe you and ash are knowledgeable collectors who would notice a replacement band); so by process of elimination i think that leaves (a) as the likeliest alternative.
best rgds,

jon

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
agreed Jon.there is no sign of buffing off,all the stampings on the stummel are clear and the band if an after market one is very well fitted.

there is nothing on the rim either

Dean when cleaning it was of the same opinion

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
a french carved bowl! egad sir! what an aspersion to cast upon the brand claiming to be the originator of the briar pipe in england! perhaps you should be prepared to defend your calumny with pistols, sabers, or tasers!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Zounds! Sir, I'll have you know that Loewe was a nice French Jewish boy who imported his bowls just like everybody else. And let me add, Sirrah, that the St Claude carvers were the more expert in those hallowed days of yesteryear, at least if we are to believe the statements of the management of companies like BBB, Dunhill, and, of course, Comoy.

Pistols at eleven, or after tea?

Status
Not open for further replies.