PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
After smoking and enjoying Lane Limited HGL for just over a year, I've decided to bulk up and cellar some the next time I find a deal. I plan on buying in bulk, then storing in Mason jars tightly compressed to force out as much air as possible.
My question is twofold: How well will aromatics keep when cellared, and is this a viable method?
I have been smoking pipe for about 4 years now and have cellared several of my favorites, but this is mainly in sealed tins.
I appreciate any information and help more experienced members may provide.
Thanks.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I have some Sutliff Chocolate Truffle from 2010, then Altadis, in Mason Jars and still smells and tastes like new.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Should be no problem at all, though I've not heard of anyone cellaring aros to get the aging=better factor. But cellaring has other purposes as it would seem in your case.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Just do it.
And I’m being honest and sincere. You’ll be fine. And you are doing it right packing it tight in the jars.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
From all I have read, aromatics are not going to change with aging like good Virginia blends do. Jarring is the way to go with bulks.

ben88

Lifer
Jun 5, 2015
Quebec
next time I find a deal
Looks like P&C still advertising Lane @ $1.25 per oz
zt915j.jpg

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
I know the consensus is that time isn't going to do much to a properly-jarred aromatic. I'm sort of curious about pushing the envelope experimentally speaking, and seeing what things like heat and/or drying/rehumidification would do to the leaf. I had an ancient aromatic that had probably dried out maybe 30 years ago. When I rehumidified it, it was amazing.

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
I've had Lanes 1-Q stored in jars for over 5 years with no ill effects...didn't get better with aging but wasn't harmed either.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Brian and Shane did an episode on cellaring tobaccos. When it came to aromatics they mentioned that they don't really improve much with age. For aromatics it's better to buy them in bulk and cram as much of them as you can into a mason jar. Packing it so tightly reduces the air inside and as Brian put it "puts it in suspended animation".

scrumpyjack

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 16, 2014
Texas
I very much enjoy HGL too. I have several pounds that have been in jars for several years. I have never had a problem with it.

Thank you for all your replies and advice. As correctly noted, I am interested in preservation, vice aging, and think I will go with Mason jars and well compressed content.
I have seen the rotating banner advertising the Lane Limited bulk sale, as captured above. Unfortunately, the link does not connect to said sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.