PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys,
Can the bone screw tenon draught hole be made bigger? I have a few pipes with bone tenons but the draw is not upto the mark for me.
Meer

aUP1JAr.jpg

GFzyeM9.jpg

m44wmGL.jpg

Briar

gWRc4kch.jpg

Can the mouth bit be slotted and funneled for a better airflow?

sNE645z.jpg

th8B6puh.jpg

sNE645zh.jpg

Chris

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
The slotting and funneling would be just fine, but I would not remove any material from the tenons. They already look super small and delicate as it is.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Chris, it's up to you, but I've done it before with no problems. Bone screw tenons are fragile anyway, so you'll just need to be extra careful with them if you decide to open them up a bit.
And the stem can easily be reworked or opened up -- I've done it on amber before with no problems. Again, you just have to be extra careful and not apply any pressure while you're using your files.
This reminds me that one of my older pipes needs a little more work on the bone screw. I opened it up a bit, but not enough. I've been meaning to go back and do it right, but I've done it in small increments just to be on the safe side.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
This is the pipe with the restricted draw. It's a pretty pipe, but I rarely smoked it because of the narrow draught. I spent some time with the needle files this weekend and now it smokes great. Enjoying some Union Square in it as I type. Thanks again for the reminder, Chris.

Status
Not open for further replies.