PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

addamsruspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2016
Albuquerque, NM
Morning all. Fell into a Ben Wade, Hand Made in Denmark. Am very excited to clean it up and see how it smokes before I move it on to someone else. Do have one question about it. The stem does not have any stamping on it. Does that mean it is not an original stem? What do you all think?

dscf17331-600x450.jpg
dscf17341-600x450.jpg
dscf17351-600x450.jpg
dscf1736-600x450.jpg
dscf1738-600x450.jpg

uperepik

(Oldtown)
Mar 8, 2017
I've got a few and can hardly see the "Ben Wade" stamp, may have rubbed off. You could research and see if it looks original. It will smoke just as good.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Addamsruspipe:
I have several Ben Wade Danish pipes and a few have the chair leg stem (I think that's what they're called) like yours. I'll bet anything the crown was buffed off. Two of mine were and the third is hanging on by a smile.
Fnord

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
That's a nice score you have there. Either you love the old Ben Wade freehands or you hate them. I love them and I've been lucky enough to have many pass through my hands.

As for your stem question, I can only offer my experience with these old works of art. There are a few styles of stems that came out of the Ben Wade factory. Most of the time the stems were the Danish chair leg stem with a straw style tenon. Near the tenon the original stems had a large decorative ball on top, a smaller ball and then the tenon. The stem on yours has a smaller decorative ball on top, a large and then the tenon. I would think it was not original to that particular pipe but I don't think anyone can be sure. Without the stamping on the stem, it's difficult to say. It could be a different style factory stem that I have never seen. It could also be a replacement. It could also be a different stem from another pipe that was in the same collection. A lot of Ben Wade freehands were and still are fantastic smokers. The original may have been chewed up and then a replacement from wherever could have been put in. You never know without the orignal stamp.

Check it out under different lighting. You might be able to see an outline of the stamp under a blacklight. That's if you really want to go crazy in order to find out. I have a binocular microscope that I would put it under with different lighting. I happened to be a madman though and ymmv.

That's a great score though. Love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.