PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

vikingtim82

Lurker
Jul 4, 2018
Somewhere in the dark abyss
Hello fellow pipe enthusiasts and friends. This is my first post on this site so hello to all members. My question is regarding my new meerschaum I have just purchased. It seems after the first smoke the inside of the bowl has already become stained a brownish color. Is this normal for the inside of a meerschaum? This is my first one and want to make sure I don't damage or ruin it in anyway. I have 3 briars, one corncob and one meerschaum and have only been a pipe smoker for 4 months. Thanks and hope someone can be of help.
Edited by jvnshr: Title capitalization (please check Rule #9)

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
Welcome to the forum. I have no meerschaum yet, but as far as I know, coloring is something, meerschaum enthusiast care a lot about. It will get black on the inside, and then the color will slowly spread. I would recommend you to search the forums or google meerschaum coloring and maintenance.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Burning tobacco leaves a brown discoloration on a white meer bowl and guy begins to panic his pipe is ruined?!
Ok, this is officially the low-water mark for the board and perhaps the entire pipe smoking community. I think it’s either time for someone to post an idiots guide to pipesmoking on the forum or just admit that endtimes are here and it’s not too late to embrace Instagram as our new time sink.
Sidebar: autocorrect has just changed pipesmoking to pipe ok’ing twice in this post. I think this is further proof that endtimes are here.

Ps: wtf is ok’ing?

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
^^^^ lol
The only heads up I will give you is that it will dent when your meer gets hot. So don't bang it or drop (if possible). I very much enjoy watching mine change over time.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
Ok, this is officially the low-water mark for the board and perhaps the entire pipe smoking community.
Unfair....
We were all novices at some point. Lets cut our new members some slack. Its not like the pipe smoking community can afford to lose anyone or discourage new pipe smokers.

Reactions: holysmokes!

vikingtim82

Lurker
Jul 4, 2018
Somewhere in the dark abyss
Well said bassbug, unfortunately this is the reason why I don't post often on this forum. Because of people like bigpond who instead of posting useful information have to go and troll around and run their mouth. Obviously he doesn't know anything other than to talk crap and degrade people. I have always respected pipe smokers and always will. Yes I am a beginner with pipes but I'm no punk ignorant kid and won't be talked to like one. I have a respect for all pipe smokers regardless of age, heritage or years smoking a pipe. We all started somewhere and after 20 years of smoking cigarettes I finally found something more sophisticated and respected. We all should respect each other if we are to get pipe smoking more popular again. I show the respect and thanks to everyone here and will continue to do so.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
We were all newbies once. It's perfectly ok to ask questions. I have no idea why some people go online and rant, just to make other people feel stupid. Well Viking, most of us appreciate your questions and answer as best we can.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
This is my first one and want to make sure I don't damage or ruin it in anyway.
Don't worry about ruining your meer. Other than dropping it on a hard surface and breaking it, you're not going to wreck it. To me, meers are very beginner friendly pipes. You can't over-smoke them, they can handle as many smokes you throw their way - every day. Just don't get too aggressive scraping out the cake that builds up and don't jam pipe cleaners too hard into the bowl because you can wear a groove. Just screw a paper towel inside or wipe it out with a doubled up pipe cleaner after each smoke. Once in a while I'll run some water in it and run a pipe brush through the stem and shank then wipe it down with a wet towel.
Enjoy your meer and keep posting.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
What kind of forum would it be if it wasn't very welcoming to new pipe smokers? If lurkers and new smokers like me can't feel good about asking a question, then they're not going to, and I thought that's what it's all about. I'm not here to make people feel like an idiot and I wouldn't want anyone making me feel like one either. It's supposed to be a place where anyone can come and learn about the pipe and ask any questions they want about the subject and maybe get an answer or two that actually answers their question, or at least an answer that doesn't make them feel bad, and hopefully find out more about the hobby and stick with it. We want more people in it, not out of it.
That said, like a few others have said, vikingtim, I think you're good. I'm still working on getting more briars before I buy my meer, so I don't have any first hand experience. I would tend to think that the ash and tars and whatnot will definitely color the inside of that bowl a lot before it ever starts migrating to the outside. Just make sure you're not building up any cake on the inside as you go along. Share some pictures of it at some point and keep us updated on how she colors up for you. Meer's always intrigue me and I love how they color differently from one to the other. Can't wait to buy mine and start that journey as well!

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Hello, vikingtim82, and welcome to the forum.
As it says on the front page, there are no stupid questions, although several of mine have come close. I had to ask how to smoke crumble cake when I first got it.
There must be some lead or arsenic in the big pond lately. Give it some time to clear up... :roll:
jay-roger.jpg

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Because of people like bigpond who instead of posting useful information have to go and troll around and run their mouth. Obviously he doesn't know anything other than to talk crap and degrade people. I have always respected pipe smokers and always will. Yes I am a beginner with pipes but I'm no punk ignorant kid and won't be talked to like one.
I’m sorry your feelings were hurt by my post. It’s my opinion that people should join a forum when they have something to share with a community. Your op expressed surprise and concern that burning tobacco could leave a residue showed a basic lack of understanding that could perhaps best be served by spending a bit of time researching with google. I suppose we all have our own way of getting to the bottom of things.
Don't let pondscum get you down. It's not his 1st rule violation and it won't be his last.

Oh brother. Aren’t you a little old for such behavior?

Status
Not open for further replies.