PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

grouchydog

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2013
Morning folks!
I'm wanting to try a few Lakelands and I'd like some of your input on what are the most strongly "essenced" blends. I've had some SG Cannon Plug (thanks AndyStewart) and I like it, but I don't know where it ranks (some will see that as a pun :) ) in a "strength of essence" scale.
So, can some Lakeland aficionados give me a few blends in order of scented-ness? Strongest first, I'm OK with jumping in the deep end. Thanks!

dryseason91

Can't Leave
Oct 10, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
Id'dput Condor at the strong end of the spectrum and something like Irish Flake (where the essence seems to have been spritzed as an afterthought) down at the mild end.

clarkj734

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 2, 2014
I can speak in terms of many of the G&H Lakelands as I smoke and enjoy a few, and have experience with many.
In order of "floralness"
1. Ennerdale Flake

2. Kendal Flake

3. Rum Flake

4. Grassmere Flake

5. Glengarry Flake
Personally, I really enjoy all of these offerings. My favorites would be Kendal and Glengarry.

grouchydog

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2013
Interesting - thanks for the input, keep it coming!
I've got tins of Rum Flake and Grousemoor that are waiting for empty jars, can't wait to try them! Ennerdale is on my TAD list when funds allow - from what folks say, it has the room note of an old-folks' home and ghosts like Jacob Marley; I can't resist something THAT obnoxious... :)

doctorthoss

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 6, 2011
This one is easy: Ennerdale Flake and Dark Flake. Ennerdale is a mild Virginia doused in a Lakeland scents and it will ghost you pipe in such a way that you will need an exorcist to cure it. Ennderdale is also one of the best products on the market, and I enjoy every puff!

Dark Flake is a very different beasts, I think it is quite possibly the most heavily flavored blend of any kind on the market today, mainly because it has to be in order to stand up to the awesomely powerful leaf used. There is nothing subtle, refined, or feminine about this tobacco or the flavoring.

Kendal Flake is another one that has a decent amount of scenting, but I really don't think anything compares to the first two I mentioned.

grouchydog

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2013
Thanks DrHoss - DFS is another one on my TAD list. Everything about it sounds like what I want to try...

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
I can't get in to Ennerdale. I enjoy Grasmere quite a bit.
G&H Rum flake is in my top five.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
Peterson Hyde Park I believe has a Lakeland essence; a sort of floral soapy fragrance. Some love it, some hate it.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Any of the Condor family will ghost the crap out of a pipe. Thats why I never sell any of my spare meerschaums as they are all ghosted to hell with Condor but simply give them to people who want a meerschaum. I have tried several of the Lakeland type brands and they seem to be a little on the weak side to my mind but then my taste in tobacco is notoriously bad. Most of them sort of remind me of Condor Blue which is like the Condor Green but with the flavor of something that has been left in your trousers and then put through the washing machine on laundry day. I suppose its all a matter of personal preference.

bphilli75

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2013
Man I have a cob I used to try Ennerdale - two bowls. It just wasn't my bowl of leaf. After probably 50 bowls of various other stuff, that cob is STILL haunted by the Lakeland ghost.
Start with a cob in case they aren't for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.