Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cavendish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2013
Why is there no labels on pipe tobacco puoches or tins reguarding nic amounts, tar or other 'toxic constituants' as read on cigarette packages? It would be nice to know how strong the tobacco is and such.
Also, is there a list online or a chart that would display such information?

dhizzy

Aug 29, 2011
No offense man but I don't need to be told everything about a tobacco in order to try it. Some of the mystery behind a blend is part of the fun for me. I'm afraid that if a blend had a description that said Nic bomb I may not want to try it. Not knowing how it'll be is part of the fun for me, of course YMMV. The best way to decide how strong a blend is is to become familiar with the typical nicotine content of the major types of leaf. For instance, Burley is high in nicotine, Virginia not as much. Perique=high, Latakia=lower. So if you know what is in a blend, you can kind of figure it out on your own.
As to tar and other "toxic constituants" as you put it (not too sure what you mean by that) pipe tobacco just plain isn't as bad a cigarette tobacco. Its not doused in chemicals like urea and embalming fluid, nor is it wrapped in a piece of toxic paper. Pipe tobacco is tobacco in its purest (consumable) form and when used in moderation is no more dangerous than being a non smoker.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
As far as nicotine amounts, it simply doesn't work like that. What is strong to me may be weak to you, it is more complicated than a simple nicotine #. The effect a tobacco has on you is largely to do with body chemistry. Also, I can't speak for others, but I don't want any more gov't mandated labeling on my tins, IMHO the existing stickers are too much, but I have learned never to smoke in California. It seems many tobaccos cause diseases in Cali, so as long as I don't smoke there, I'm cool.

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
All i wanted to know is why its not on there like it is for cigarettes. It is true that tastes vary and some might find others different. I didn't know that it is the purest form of tobacco and maybe thats why the lack of information.

brassonly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 3, 2012
I know that the McBaren tobacco tins have a line on the top cover that is supposed to give an indication of how strong each of their tobacco blends are. Not sure if other companies do such a thing ?

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
On top of that, the more specific the numbers, the more likely the FDA gets involved. If that happens, then no one wins.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
If there is a baccy that interests you mate, you can go to Tobacco Reviews and read the reviews of your selected blend. On the right side of each review page, there is a section that tells the strength of the baccy. This will give you a decent idea of strength of flavor, nicotine etc.
http://www.google.ca/#hl=en&sclient=psy-ab&q=tobacco+reviews&oq=tobacco&aq=1&aqi=g4&aql=&gs_sm=1&gs_upl=2449l4446l0l6786l7l5l0l2l2l0l203l734l0.4.1l7l0&gs_l=hp.1.1.0l4.2449l4446l0l6786l7l5l0l2l2l0l203l734l0j4j1l7l0.frgbld.&pbx=1&fp=1&biw=1366&bih=566&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&cad=b

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
I'm a little bit confused here. I just went to the store and asked to see a pack of Marlboro Red.
Nowhere on the pack does it even have the words nicotine or tar, let alone the amounts, or how strong the blend is.
It did have one of the mandatory rotating warnings that said: Contains Carbon Monoxide.

yadan

Can't Leave
Dec 23, 2012
Central Galilee, Israel
"I'm a little bit confused here. I just went to the store and asked to see a pack of Marlboro Red.

Nowhere on the pack does it even have the words nicotine or tar, let alone the amounts, or how strong the blend is.

It did have one of the mandatory rotating warnings that said: Contains Carbon Monoxide."
I haven't looked at a pack of cigarettes up close ever since I quit over 35 years ago, but I'm fairly sure that at that time tar and nicotine content was indeed listed on American cigarette packs.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Don't think about it! It will do all the great things Cigs will if you smoke them like Cigs. It is hard to die healthy.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I don't think the OP is American, that's why... Many other countries have such dubious information on their cigarette packs.
The reality is that such numbers can be manipulated.
"Light" cigarettes were only "light" when tested by a machine. A real smoker will drag harder on the cigarette and smoke faster to get as much nicotine/tar/whatever as a regular cigarette. They would also cover the ventilation holes in the filter with their fingers and therefore retain greater absorption of said chemicals.
I also believe it is intrusive health propaganda rather than a helpful reference for the smoker...
(Okay, that you can "smoke around" the design of the cigarette doesn't change the inherent nicotine properties of the tobacco within but I'm mostly just railing about the perceived validity of such info)
+1000 to NSfisher. Sorting by strength in on TR.com is the single best way to decipher a pipe tobacco's strength.
Asking on the forum about a blend or googling "BlendX strength" is second best.
Third best is guessing based on the general attributes of the leaf. This method has its limitations...
(A flaw, for example: Most VAs are light to medium in strength. 1792 is all VA, therefore 1792 is light to medium in strength. Wrong! Dark fired VAs throw a high nic curveball down the pipes.)
I'm not to get into the great cigarette health debate, but I will definitely question the assumption that pipe tobacco is the purest of all tobacco forms. Definitely not. It is highly processed and manipulated with numerous additives, however benign.
Cigar tobacco wins the purity crown by a landslide, IMO.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Putting information like that on a package of any type of tobacco would be similar to putting a warning lable on water specifying the exact amount of water it would take for you to drink yourself to death.
Completed with a lable reading, "Warning, water is dangerous and hundreds of thousands of people drown every year."
If you do some reasearch and follow some simple guidelines as to which types of leaf generally have more nic than others, and that it really depends on your body chemistry (which can change from day to day) as to how fast you can absorb nicotine through your mouth, or lungs if you inhale, then this labeling becomes unnecessary.
I am personally sick of misleading labeling, and labeling that insults the inteligence of the reader.
"This box of frosted flakes is a fat free food!" It's covered in SUGAR! Screw you frosted flakes and your delicious coated goodness! :crazy:

(I don't know if frosted flakes has ever said that, but you catch my drift)

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
I think there's a history of not labeling the ingredients in pipe tobaccos, beyond the general VA, Burley, Cavendish, Latakia, etc. designation. Because of the blender's need for secrecy. You can't patent a tobacco blend. And so blenders choose to keep their ratios, and casings to themselves. Part of the fun of it all on the receiving end for us. Maintains the "Pipe mystique".

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
these are canadian cigarettes not US lol. I know the US ones dont have that on them.
Thanks for the info nsfisher i checked the site and bookmarked it.
The only reason I asked is I was just curious y its not on there is all lol.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Oh... well it's not on there cuz this is AMERICA. 8)
lol
I know that you're technically "America" too... still funny though.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
I know what you are talking about. They used to put the nic and tar levels on packs of cigarettes. Example 5mg tar 8mg nic...Didnt think they still did this, but maybe in the lights or ultra lights they might. It would be very hard to do this for pipes, as everyones pipe is different (here comes the jokes). But really how much you are putting in a small pipe vs how much he/she is putting in a magnum pipe will vary. Cigarettes are regulated in size, diameter, length. So they will be able to tell the consumer what the amount is in each one.

tedvig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 21, 2011
I do remember seeing Nicotene and tar in milligrams in magazine print ads for cigarettes back in the 80's...

Status
Not open for further replies.