PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattmars

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2011
My brother in law is an OTR driver and spends a lot of time on the road. We want to get him something special to make his life easier/more enjoyable on the road. Any suggestions?

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
You could get Him a GPS a Coffee maker a plugin refrig a out side thermometer if He don't have them or a new :laughat: dispatcher.

pipetrucker

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2010
Following the white rabbit
It all depends upon what he already has. A good truck specific GPS is handy, but not all drivers like them. If he enjoys listening to audio books, they are always a welcome gift.
A lot also depends on how much you are wanting to spend. A good laptop with a wireless broadband card comes in very handy.
A good DVD player is nice to have, as is a flatscreen tv.
I love having my iPad along with me as I can use it to read books, I read a lot, as well as for getting online.
A new law went into effect this month requiring all CDL drivers to only use a hands-free cell phone. Does he have a good phone, like an Android phone, with a truck specific bluetooth headset like a Blue Parrot, Blue Eagle or, my personal choice a Blue Tiger? Android or iPhone is nice because it can do voice dialing, thus saving him from a very high fine if he's caught dialing the phone by hand.
I am just tossing out suggestions as I know nothing about him personally. These are all things I have in my own truck. Also, a gift card for a hotel room here and there isn't a bad idea.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
It all depends upon what he already has
Mason makes good points on all his choices.

I was going to recommend a Blue Parrot bluetooth. It looks like your some kind of Telemarketer when you're wearing the thing, but its the best bluetooth headset I had on the road.

I'd also add XM radio to the list if he doesnt have one already. I never thought I'd like it much but came to love it, wouldn't go back on the road without one.

Of course your budget has a lot to do with the answer too.

A new pair of shower shoes (flip-flops) would be a good cheap answer.

A new shaving kit might be a good one too.

mattmars

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2011
Pipetrucker. Those were fantastic suggestions. I'm gonna have my wife ask him about his tv and Bluetooth. I think I can swing the prices on those. And a big NO on the lot lizzards. Lol!

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Nice leather work gloves are always welcome or a good drink holder that bolts to the floor . Kenworth makes one . Also a good glass lined thermos for keeping coffee hot all day is good gift .

revs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 31, 2011
Utah
Ear plugs and an electric blanket this time of year. I know how cold a truck sleeper can get if you are in the parking lot of your destination and there is a noise ordinance in the area. Montana in January comes to mind. Oh that was a fun trip. No idling in Home Depot parking lots. Or Lowe's.

Status
Not open for further replies.