PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lonefrog615

Might Stick Around
Nov 19, 2015
I just recently discovered how much I love GL Pease's Westminster. That complexity along with the soft round taste is the pinnacle of pipe smoking zen to me. Here's my question: what blend(s) would you recommend I try knowing that I like this one so well?

(Note: I'm a bit sensitive to vitamin N so no recommendations of strong blends please)

whitesands77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2016
Denver USA
Assuming of coarse you haven't already tried them. Blackpoint is just ok to me. I enjoy smoke with more "body" than most of the GL Pease blends. C&D Mountain Camp is excellent or the stout Pirate Kake is another that both have wonderful taste.

lonefrog615

Might Stick Around
Nov 19, 2015
I am smoking Quiet Nights right now as I type this and though I find it tasty it lacks the rounded edges that Westminster has. I have tins of Gaslight and Chelsea Morning as well but I haven't tried them yet

backwoodsjack

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 25, 2015
Central Minnesota
Whitesands77,

It's funny you mention Blackpoint as not much body. Just last night I followed a bowl of BP with a bowl of Star of the East. I couldn't even finish the SOTE, because it was so flavorless in comparison. Blackpoint with some age turns into a very full body smoke. Tastes vary though.

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
Samuel Gawith Squadron Leader

Dunhill Standard Mixture Mellow

Dunhill Standard Mixture

Dunhill London Mixture (a little more oriental)
Or add some cavendish in there for a sweet touch, Dunhill MY Mixture 965

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
Blackpoint, Abingdon, Odyssey
^all excellent. Also Samovar and other McClellan balkan and english blends like the Frog Morton blends and Old Dog etc.; you might like Boswell's Northwoods or Countryside, too.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Yo lo
You have a most excellent blend there with one of Pease's many most excellent concoctions. Westminster is predicated on Dunhill's London Mixture - but it was an earlier version than the current Orlik rendition. I love them all, but consider the Orlik London lighter and not as rich and complex as West. My old Murray's LM has flattened out with age, and Westminster seems to age much better.
hp

les

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
if you like Westminster, try:

Dunhill London Mixture

GLP Maltese Falcon

C&D Star of the East

Presbyterian
All a bit different, but you will probably like these.

Westminster is great stuff.

I had a tin with about 7 years on it, and it was gamey! Like leather, loam, manure.....smelled pretty rich but tasted so good.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Chelsea Morning

Gaslight

McClelland Balkan Beauty
You might find that letting the Pease blends sit a week or so after opening (in a closed container) will lend them more of that roundness.
Ren

whitesands77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2016
Denver USA
backwoodsjack, I may have followed up with Blackpoint from something stronger just prior. Thanks for the heads up on the age. My tin is jarred up waiting to age a little before i give it another go. Its quality regardless of my initial sampling.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Pease-Meridian

McClelland-Blue Mountain

C&D-Star Of The East

Stokkebye-Balkan Supreme

H&H-Black House

MacBaren-Vintage Syrian

Esoterica-Penzance

Balkan Sasieni

Balkan Sobranie

murica

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2017
Like others here, I would suggest reading up on Gregs website. He is a master when it comes to lat blends, and knows how to give an accurate description of what to expect.

Status
Not open for further replies.