Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I recently picked up a new Grand Duke that's like none I've seen or owned. The Grand Dukes I've seen are all small-bowled billiards. This is a large bowled Dublin with really nice grain considering the price. I picked this up at a drug store. Wasn't looking for a pipe but it caught my eye. Is this an old model that happened to be still on the shelf or a new model? Dr Grabow's website is not very helpful, so I figured I would consult the brain trust.
Thanks.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A chain drugstore or an independent? The chains near me move the inventory so fast, if you don't buy

something the day you see it, it's been sent back to the wholesaler. If it is an independent (mom and pop)

drugstore, it could have been there since 1953. Was there dust on the plastic packaging? That could be

a clue. Look around online at retailers who sell Dr. Grabow new and see if this matches anything they have.

I'd guess you hit on the correct answer, that somehow this is old inventory, at least a few years old, and that

this isn't a current model. If it has good grain, that could be a good thing. I may check with one or two online

places that carry Grabow and let you know if I see anything like this.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Thanks!
It was a Walgreens in a metro area, oddly enough. Dust on the packaging but it looked the same as the more recent plastic packages. I hope this is a new direction for Grabow. Or maybe I just got lucky with old stock.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Very interesting. The dust on the plastic packaging makes me think it's old inventory. I am surprised

Walgreens had it. The have whisked away all their pipes and pipe tobacco where I shop. About six

months ago, they had a few Grabows at high prices for those pipes. I checked a couple online retailers

and all they had in Grand Duke pipes were, as you said, various versions of billiards with straight and

quarter bent stems. They're fine pipes, I think, but I can't say I was looking at much grain there, so

I think you bought a golden oldie. It's a lucky pipe.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
The one I linked to has been around the block more than a few times, but it might be from the same era. Grabow made and still makes smooth and carved versions of the same pipe models.
It would be interesting to know if you bought a pre 1990's pipe new. Seems possible.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
The Grand Duke is and was(it's been around since the 60's) made in a great variety of sizes and shapes. Got a pic of the pipe and the pack it came in? One way to roughly date it is by the stem material. If it is vulcanite then it was made pre early to mid 1980's. Grabow started converting all their pipes to ABS in 1981-IIRC. ABS stems can be identified usually by the shape of the slot in the button. They will have an almost square opening.They are also thicker at the button,plus they do not oxidize.

Status
Not open for further replies.