PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 15, 2011
So I think I have read on here that some of the tamper makers around here use spent 9mm bullet casings to fit on the end of their tampers, but the search function being what it is, I couldn't find it anywhere. I have a curiosity to make some tampers with some 9mm casings that I just received from a good friend of mine, but Im not really sure what to fit them on, or moreover, how to modify something to fit the casing on to, be it wood, plastic, etc. Anyone have any ideas on what I can make a tamper out of and how to go about doing it and how to fit these 9mm casings on the ends? Any thoughts at all would be greatly appreciated.

cmkiefer

Lurker
Sep 7, 2012
Ontonagon, MI
I used a 45acp casing on a simple tamper I made recently. I basically just picked up a stick, shaved the end to a taper so it would press into the casing and epoxied it together. I also carved a simple bowl poker/scraper on the other end. It works great for me.
Time required:10 minutes

Tool required: Pocket knife

Matl required: Stick, 45acp casing, 2-part epoxy

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
You're over thinking it, PN. I've done what cmkiefer describes (w/ .45ACP as well) and it's a no-brainer.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Pipe Novelist, it is not that complicated. Literally a stick on the ground can be a tamper. Everything beyond that is just adding to the COOL factor. You don't need to have a shell at the bottom. Unless your tamper is made of balsa wood, it will never burn up. If you want a shell as the end, then simply taper the end. Presto! The shell fits perfectly! I use gorilla glue, but anything that glues metal to wood would work. Actually, if you have the taper on one end, place the shell on that end and use a hammer on the other end. I strongly doubt you will be able to remove the shell.
Now if you want a beautifully turned tamper made from exotic wood from foreign rain forests with lots of turning features, let me know. Or come to the Chicago Pipe Show and see what I make.
Winton

cmkiefer

Lurker
Sep 7, 2012
Ontonagon, MI
20121122_082744.jpg

smokindawg

Can't Leave
May 25, 2011
I usually cut mine shorter. Then I take acrylic, wood, deer antler or bamboo and turn the end down till the casing fits over it. I leave the rest a bit oversized. I then epoxy the casing on and after it dries I then sand the other material down to match the casing so that there isn't a lip between the two materials. You can then shape and finish the rest of the shaping. Follow with fine sanding and a buff. Just know that you should tape over the wood/other material when buffing the brass as it will discolor it. And use a buffing wheel you only use for metals.

Status
Not open for further replies.