PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I've got one of these on the way and a thought hit me, why not stuff the moisture trap/reservoir half to 2/3 with cotton wool (or some other absorbent material) to hold the liquid so it can't spill over, then just pick it out and toss it afterward? I searched the net and couldn't find any reference to anybody doing it. Has anybody here tried it?

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I do not get enough moisture in pipe to worry about it. I only smoke a bowl or two in a day with the briars, then the pipe "rests" for a couple of days, at least. Even fairly damp blends do not gurgle or fill the reservoir. I've read about the problems that others experience with the system pipes, but I've not had any.
I think you should break in the new pipe first and see if you have any problems. No sense fretting about a problem that may never occur.

dryseason91

Can't Leave
Oct 10, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
It's unlikely that you'll collect enough moisture for it to be sloshing around in the reservoir. It does get fairly damp in there, of course, but not full. I do use cotton but only for post-smoke cleaning: take off the stummel, tear a little wad from a cotton ball and hold it with a tweezers, and stuff it down into the sump until the nasties are soaked up.

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
I haven't smoked a system in years but the one I did have never had a moisture issue. Nothing that would require any matieral to soak up at least. I'd smoke it as normal for awhile and see if you even have any problems at all before experimenting.

K

klause

I've only ever had the moisture get excessive once - smoking Revor, outside in the woods - spent a week on it - got enough moisture to necessitate removing the stem mid-smoke, every smoke, and tipping out the gunk.
Never with any other tobacco. Currently working through a Warrior plug, using the same pipe, and absolutely no moisture!

billypm

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2013
I have heard of folks doing that, and it seemed like a great idea. I'm going to give it a go next time I fire up my 303. Eliminating that leakage when the pipe is set down would make the system almost perfect to me. I am a big fan of the way it positively affects the smoking experience.

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
While mine does accumulate moisture, not enough to warrant sticking a cotton ball down there during the smoke. A couple pipe cleaners and the moisture is gone. If it gurgles during smoke - just pass a pipe cleaner through it.

shutterbug

Can't Leave
Apr 12, 2013
Trust me...it's not worth the time or effort. They were designed to smoke a certain way, and it does so effectively. Putting cotton into it just defeats the purpose. On top of that, the cotton will not only be a pain in the butt to remove, but I would imagine that it restricts the draw somewhat as well. I have never had a problem with Peterson's system pipes enough for me to modify it in any way.
Shutterbug

billypm

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2013
Don't think we're actually talking a whole cotton ball down there, gents. Just a bit of fluff that sits at the bottom of the well and comes out at the smoke's end easily with your pipe nail. Shouldn't affect the draw in the slightest. Anybody who's leaked Pete-juice on their coffee table or pant leg will want to at least give it a shot. If you're totally pleased with your Pete as is-- don't do it. :D

K

klause

Billypm, it can't do any harm to give it a whirl. And, if it works for you, improves your smoke and enjoyment, it's all good, huh?

namuna

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 22, 2013
Anybody who's leaked Pete-juice on their coffee table or pant leg will want to at least give it a shot
Mmmmmm, Pete-Juice!

homer_11.jpg

I've got a 317 and indeed it gets juicy in there, haven't had it be enough to warrant an "overflow" catcher, but if you're experiencing that much "juice" then by all means! If you've got a long and thin enough pair of tweezers, you could even tear a small piece of paper-towel, tightly roll it and place it in there as it probably would do a better job of absorbing.
Good luck!

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Thanks lads. I haven't got my pete yet so it's all conjecture at this time. And no I didn't mean to stuff the reservoir compeletely with cotton, just tamp a bit of it down in the bottom half or so. Typically with other pipes I use 1 pipecleaner per bowl, often just a couple times with one end during the smoke, then once with the clean end after I'm done, then fold it in half and mop the heel if I see any residual moisture before replacing it in the rack. Having returned to pipe smoking after a hiatus I have made a concerted effort to slow down my cadence and that has made a world of difference. Will report back when I've got my pete and had a chance to smoke it.

jarit

Can't Leave
Jul 2, 2013
I don't have any Pete system pipes, but here's how Peterson's explains how and why the system works. From their 1896 catalogue:
pete_system_explained_1896.gif

Makes sense, right?

thekiltedchaplain

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 11, 2011
I've never had a moisture problem like that with my system pipes. I'd say give it a try and see if it helps.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
It sounds like a reasonable idea. My system pipes all collect moisture in the well as they are supposed to, but they never get to the point where they are dripping wet.

billypm

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2013
Not a drooling problem, trailboss. The Pete system creates turbulence and the resulting moisture collects in the well. It ain't spit. Different tobaccos and colder ambient temps can change the amount of moisture that is collected. The article posted above seems to belie my statement, but it also says that nicotine and saliva can be mistaken for each other-- and that there is no nicotine in pipe smoke. Smoke a group 6 full of rope and then tell me that!!! 8O

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Well my pete arrived today (a 314). Looking inside, the draft hole is drilled pretty near the bottom of the moisture well. I would have thought (and from the diagrams I've seen) that to work properly it should be drilled nearer to the top of the trap. Maybe the things people are saying about Peterson's hit-or-miss QC is true? I'm going to smoke it and see. Worst-case, I will place a cotton pellet in the bottom of the well.

peter70

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2013
The diagrams exaggerate. The draft hole is only a few millimeters above the well, at least in my 20 years old Peterson System, which has none of the QC issues, newer Petersons are said to have. Only if smoked too hot, there is a considerable amount of moisture accumulated there. I see the system more of a reversed Calabash system, meant to cool and dry the smoke, just like the many other systems, that are supposed to do that.
Kind regards,

Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.