Question for any cold weather pipe smoking veterans....

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bernie2

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 23, 2015
Sorry for posting another "newb" question.
I'm a new pipe smoker from the Milwaukee area. We're in for some cold weather here over the next few days and I have a dumb question. I found a nice pipe/cigar friendly bar close to my house that I intend on frequenting on a regular basis while the temperature here sucks. Smoking on my porch at -10 isn't the most relaxing pastime. 8)
Is there any concerns with leaving briar pipes in my car for most of the day, in freezing weather, and then lighting up a bowl right away? Is there any risk in taking a briar pipe from a complete freezing condition in my car to lighting up a bowl a few minutes later?
Sorry again for the dumb question. I only have 3 pipes and I'd hate to ruin one if I don't have to.
As always...thanks for your feedback!

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
Honestly if I leave a briar pipe in my car and it's cold I won't light that pipe until it is at least room temperature.... I don't know if there is any proof out there if it makes a difference but I can't imagine briar going from one extreme temperature to another doing well....

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Yes, I live in Minnesota and do Not leave your pipes in your car. The extreme temp shifts over time will loosen your stems. A thin coat of clear nail polish on the tenon can remedy this, but I'd just rather not take the chance. I know from experience.

bernie2

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 23, 2015
Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like I need to keep my briars warm and with me (in my briefcase) during the day to avoid the extreme temperature changes before lighting up at the end of the day.
Sorry for the dumb question.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Definitely not a dumb question. I wish I had a place to ask this same question when I started. I learned from trial and error. Make sure you ask any questions you have here, do not hesitate or feel dumb in any way. That is why we are here.

ivapewithfire

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2014
West Virginia, USA
Not a dumb question.
I was wondering the same thing.
It's normally a mild winter where I live. We are in for a real cold snap (-15 or so).
I knew it wasn't a good idea to light up a cold pipe, but I didn't think of any real issues of leaving it in my Jeep while I'm at work.
Makes sense and good to know.

bernie2

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 23, 2015
Thanks clickklick.
Just to let you know I am one of the few Vikings fans here in Milwaukee. It's pretty tough to support my team hear in Wisconsin with all the dumb Packer and Bear's fans around here!
Can't wait until next year! I'm a huge bridgewater fan!
#VikingsSuperBowl2016!

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Another great use for the Cobs ... I keep a couple in the truck at all times.

ivapewithfire

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2014
West Virginia, USA
I guess the cobs don't suffer from the same effect as a briar pipe?
Is that true of the hardwood bottom ones? I have a Country Gentleman for example.
Or is it just that they are so inexpensive it doesn't matter?

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Cobs are less dense and let the moisture go fairly quickly.
So, unless you "smoke it hard and put it away wet" ( 8O ), you should have no trouble.
FWIW ... one of mine that I keep in the truck is also a Country Gent.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Cobs are the most forgiving pipes you can own. They seem to impervious to blends, temps and whatever else you can throw at them. As for briars, room temp is the rule. Thermal shock is not good for them at all.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I've smoked a pipe in fairly extreme temps over the years. I tend to keep the pipe in a pocket until ready to smoke. As a rule I don't leave my pipes in the truck over night. If, for some reason, I must I give it a few minutes under my parky, load and smoke.
I've never experienced a pipe failing in the cold, but I have heard tales.
I will relate that it is damned hard at -60f to load and fire up a pipe. You have to really want it, find a spot in the lee of the wind, get the gloves off and back on fast. Oh, and try not to set your mask on fire or the snorkel of your parky. I mean it, you really have to want a hit of nicotine. Luckily, we usually had a heated plane or truck cab as a place of refuge when taking a smoke break.

desertpipe

Might Stick Around
Nov 13, 2014
I keep a backup cob in my vehicles 365 days a year no problem. I once forgot a pipe on the porch that was not completely dry in the shank...had to band the cracked shank 12 hours later. My briars stay inside.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
In my experience a cob is also ideal for cold weather smoking because the porosity of the cob helps lessen the effects of extra condensation. I am not sure if other smokers have found the same to be true.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
....and besides that, if you have your pipes with you in your briefcase you can take a little peek at them throughout the day and maybe even fondle them a little if no one is looking! :oops:

delro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2015
I have left my briar pipes out in my car for weeks at a time during the winter here in New England. My stems are just fine - no damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.