PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanegreen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 17, 2018
Does anyone know anything about the Brand ST that would also be stamped Handmade in Denmark? Pipepedia has them listed, but no details known.

shanegreen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 17, 2018
A rare gem perhaps. I will have my wife take a picture soon. I'm bad at it.
The brand is found here with an exclamation mark after it says "no details known!" I am thinking the only way to find out would be someone who would have one, or come across one. https://pipedia.org/wiki/Danish_Pipe_Brands_%26_Makers_R_-_T

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
I misunderstood the OP, a pipe only marked, ST Handmade in Denmark. But I still have nothing... Wouldn't mind seeing it though.

shanegreen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 17, 2018
The stem is soaking in some homemade oxyclean, but I will be sure to share soon. The stem alone is very nice and exquisite.

shanegreen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 17, 2018
Good golly miss molly Sea captain you have to go confusing things. Now my head is spinning.I suppose I am no expert of titles, Danish or not.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Good golly miss molly Sea captain you have to go confusing things. Now my head is spinning.I suppose I am no expert of titles, Danish or not.
I know how you feel. It's not easy being green.

shanegreen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 17, 2018
Haha It sure isn't. However sir, I am not too green to notice you are an expert of wisequackery.

shanegreen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 17, 2018
Gentleman, here is the treasured pipe. I could not get a clear picture of the markings though.

img_1678.jpg

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Typical of the Ben Wade panel/blasted freehand pipes of the mid-late 1970's. They were everywhere at the time---very popular---and sold for around $35 ($125 in today's money).

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Shane', that's a handsome pipe. Most of these types are put in the freehand bucket, but it could also be described as a Dublin, tomahawk, or something ... I don't see the acorn, but I can see the pickaxe idea. That's a good version, not oversize, but an ample bowl. Can't help with the i.d., never heard of it. The finish does not look like Johs or Nording.

shanegreen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 17, 2018
Captain, I am not sure, but the bottom has the pointedness of an acorn, but I believe it mostly a pickaxe.
Mso I also at first thought it was a Nording by the finish, but it isn't. The freehand pipes are usually not my style as they feel clumsy to me, but this is one I really like as it is not huge and is designed to fit in the hand nicely. I am almost done cleaning, and will be smoking soon. Btw, what is the difference between the salt/ alcohol treatment, and cotton balls/ everclear as far as those piping caspers go?
Thanks for the input George.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
I like it. Nice shape, nice blast, and a fairly conservative stem. Are you sure it's not marked IIS? IIS was a mark used by Preben Holm.

shanegreen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 17, 2018
Nope, however it could be possibly I S, which is what got my heart jumping because of the Designer with those initials, but Ivarsson has a round stamp with his full name from what I have seen. Like I said, I love this pipe, and I usually pass on freehand types.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Nope, however it could be possibly I S, which is what got my heart jumping because of the Designer with those initials, but Ivarsson has a round stamp with his full name from what I have seen. Like I said, I love this pipe, and I usually pass on freehand types.
Keep digging along those lines. The stem is definitely molded---a Guidici 648---but most of today's living-legend Scandinavian carvers started out making molded stem pipes, and sometimes the connection can be proved.
It is possible that the "ST" stamp was something a shop's owner allowed an up-and-coming line worker to use after hours on his own designs, for example. Such nurturing arrangements were common in the Scandinavian pipeworld 40 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.