PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackadderlxx

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2018
Hey everyone, so after hearing about this blend, I finally tried some for the first time today. I've been trying different cigar leaf blends and this one has been on the list for a while. So my question for those who have tried it is does aging do anything for it to smooth it out? The stuff I tried is pretty new bulk. I assume giving it time to marry will always help, but I'm wondering if anyone has let this stuff age for a year or two and could share their experience. I'm thinking of getting some to stash away, but there are other cigar blends I find that I like better if this doesn't improve that much with some age. Thanks in advance for your replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm not a good respondent because I liked the bend right away. I like it fresh and edgy, and I like it even better mellowed out for a year or two. But yes, it smooths out. I sort of miss the edges. You might want to buy some C&D cigar leaf condiment blending tobacco. It puts a new spin on many/most blends. I never look for a cigar experience. Cigars are their own thing. But the leaf has a nice rounded flavor and opens out other leaf too.

blackadderlxx

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2018
Thanks mso. Yeah, I quit cigars for pipes so I'm not really looking for the cigar experience, but I have found that I do like the leaf as a condiment. I stumbled across 4 noggins bread loaf in a box pass, then tried Habana Daydream and recently Cuban Mixture from Peretti. I have a jar of Country Lawyer I'm going to pop next and now I've tried Billy Budd. It's an interesting blend in that I enjoyed the strength, and burley is kid of hit or miss for me, but I liked this one. I love latakia blends, so there's a lot in here to like. I just think in part this sample I got is probably pretty new so a little harsh. I appreciate the feedback. I'm going to have to get some for the cellar.

eggrollpiper

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2018
I also was not thrilled with Billy Bud and mine is currently cellered now since the summer, plan on visiting it again this coming summer at 1 yr. I'm pretty sure it's that C&D Va. thats the offending party and have not experienced aging affects on it myself as far as I know.

I can vouch for Habana Daydream though (although sans Va.) After 1-2 years aging is absolutely sublime, and was also just ok fresh.

Robusto is on my wish list for a while now, if you've yet to try mb make that your next move.

blackadderlxx

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2018
Try G.L. Pease - Key Largo.
Yep. Plan to. I just don't know if I can handle *another* post 2007 blend that I have to stockpile before the hammer falls...It's to the point where I'm actually relieved when I find a newer GLP blend that I don't love.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
This is my review from SmokinPipes...
First bought this blend 6 months or so ago and thought so-so. Now, with some age on it ,it is great.! Mellowed out and the sharp edges came off. Ordered a pound and a half yesterday to throw in the cellar to age. If you love truely great burley, you... can't go wrong...The weez

jmagen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 30, 2016
Billy Budd...I cant keep it long enough to age it. Is the edge yall are referring to the way Latakia looses its punch after its not fresh anymore? I have 3 tins of Nightcap, and I'm holding off b/c I love it fresh, but as it ages, it (and 965) as well seems to lose some...smokiness?

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I found fresh BB to have a sharp, almost bitter edge with the Latakia of the type that leaves a "grainy" feeling on the tongue. After a bit of time, that aspect seems to disappear, leaving a much smoother smoke.

jrenko

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 26, 2016
Scandinavia
Yep. Plan to. I just don't know if I can handle *another* post 2007 blend that I have to stockpile before the hammer falls...It's to the point where I'm actually relieved when I find a newer GLP blend that I don't love.
I know what you mean, but i really do recommend you try this. You still have time to buy a few pounds if you like it. Also we don't really know if all hell breaks lose in 2020 with this FDA thing or not.

blackadderlxx

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2018
that I don't love.

I know what you mean, but i really do recommend you try this. You still have time to buy a few pounds if you like it. Also we don't really know if all hell breaks lose in 2020 with this FDA thing or not.

I will try it. I've heard to many good things and apparently I love cigar leaf blends. This year though I'm working on stockpiling my favorites post 2007 in case. After getting hosed in the McClelland shut down I am trying to be more prepared.

whiteburleydude

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 4, 2017
C&D blends are rough around the edges. That's what they do over there. I still love em. Aged Key Largo though, can't get much better in my book.

Status
Not open for further replies.