Question About Wood Grain

(7 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by nevadablue
  • Latest reply from epsilon2
  1. nevadablue

nevadablue

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I will post this question on the 'builder's forum' too, but it seems they have little use for newbie questions. I know some here are members there, so here goes.

I have my lathe ready to attempt to make a turned stummel. The band saw still needs to be set on it's base so I can cut the rough blank.
    I will be working with grained wood, not briar. My 'prototype' learning bowls will be made from an unknown wood that I have in the shop, and the first 'real' bowls will be made from Live Oak. So...

How is the best way to orient the grain? Vertical, as in aligned with the bowl/firepot? Or across the bowl? It seems that across the bowl may be better, but I am not sure.

Help please...

---
    Ken
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. uncleblackie

uncleblackie

Login to Send PM

Looking at various pipes, it would seem it doesn’t really matter unless you’re trying to achieve a visual effect with the grain following or accentuating the shape. I know some people believe a pipe smokes better/hotter/cooler with a certain grain orientation.

I am not a pipe maker, so take my information with a grain of salt. It really does seem to be only an aesthetic choice though. Of course, I’m relating this to briar. Other woods might involve other considerations.

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. ebklodt

ebklodt

Login to Send PM

Grain orientation is your preference. Getting it oriented to your best artistic abilities is part of the challenge. Good luck!

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. zack24

zack24

Mod

Login to Send PM

In Morta(bog oak), the grain always runs with the length of the pipe- if you run grain verticall with the bowl, you’ll break the shank every time. Oak has very little strength cross grain....To give you a nice empirical test, cut a half inch square with grain running lengthwise and the same piece cross grain...smack each on the edge of your workbench...:)

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. nevadablue

nevadablue

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That is exactly what I was looking for Zack. Thank you. Now, I am off to look at morta pipes. I hadn't thought of that. I am working with un-mortaed' morta.

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. zack24

zack24

Mod

Login to Send PM

I am working with un-mortaed' morta.

It’s all oak and although both are similar in grain strength, the exception would be if you’re working with the burl from live oak- that tends to be swirled and less straight grained...and much stronger as a result

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. epsilon2

epsilon2

Login to Send PM

My Zeus :))
    Oak is so difficult to carve...
    Good luck

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   alaskanpiper, ray47, supdog, railman, oldgeezersmoker, donjgiles, cachimbero, ben88, olkofri, generalzod