PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

buffalopat

Lurker
Jul 15, 2014
I was curious about something. I have had a couple of bowls of HPCS Trout Stream and have found it very pleasant (sweet and tangy on the draw, distinct butterscotch notes while retrohaling). I have, however, noticed that I don't get very much smoke in terms of volume. Draw is fine, pipe stays lit, but there just isn't a lot of volume in terms of smoke. I get plenty while lighting the pipe, but within a couple of draws it becomes very wispy. Could this just be the way the tobacco is burning or would it more likely be something to do with how I'm smoking the pipe that I may be able to correct?

jon11

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2013
That is pipe smoking Pat. You shouldnt have clouds of smoke like a cigar. Sounds like you're doing it correct my friend!

buffalopat

Lurker
Jul 15, 2014
Ok, good to know. I'm definitely a newb at this, but I will say there are many more distinct flavors with pipe smoke compared to what I experienced with cigars, and retrohaling doesn't singe my nostril hairs off. Even better in my book. Thanks for letting me know guys!

I prefer my blends to be wispy. Most Virginias and VaPers are wispy smokes. There are a few latakia blends, like Lancer's Sliced that are almost too smokey for me. I usually just smoke those while out walking, so It's not just making my eyes miserable. I probably won't be buying those smokey ones again. They have a good taste, just too much smoke and a taste bud overload for me.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
As mentioned, Virginias tend to have a thinner smoke and Trout Stream is more than half Virginia by volume.
Russ

macabra11

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 14, 2014
Boise, ID
I've wondered the same thing buffalo, but never thought to ask about it. Thanks for starting the conversation!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Just for comparison, Black Cavendish seems to have some of the more voluminous smoke, whole

mouthfuls and clouds in some cases. Often it's just the particular tobacco.

lostandfound

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2011
With the correct cadence, it is possible to develop deeper, fuller draws, from time to time, without scorching the tobacco, and burning your tongue.

Status
Not open for further replies.