PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

grimpuffer

Can't Leave
Aug 29, 2016
So I was going through my cellar seeing what I had to trade once I hit the required post count and came across a few that have me worried.
I have 4 tins of GLP Gaslight and 3 of them look like they’re about to explode. Mind you - these tins aren’t even 6 months old. One of them the lid doesn’t fit right because it’s basically a dome on top and bottom.
I really don’t want to open them if I don’t have to but I’ve never had any pipe tobaccos tins balloon that quickly at such a young age.
What do you all think?

kickinbears

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 21, 2018
I have a C&D Opening Night that had the same thing happen over 10yrs ago when I cellared it. I look fw to the day I open the tin.
I think I’m going to save it for my 50th bday, possibly my 60th (so, a 20-30yr old tin)

jon11

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2013
Don’t open them, they’re good. I’ve had many C&D tins swell after 6 months. Never had a problem with any of them losing a seal.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
You’re good! I have many tins of Gaslight in the cellar and some are bloated. It’s all good. You can’t easily see in this picture, but a few tins are starting to bloat. It’s a good thing.

ee4Ukrc.jpg

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
The bigger question is ... why trade them? It’s not rare tobacco and aged well. I would keep them.

noseflute

Lurker
Jun 25, 2018
When they explode, it will be the signal it's the right time to smoke them.
Seriously, I have many of them, trying to transform from a cylinder into a sphere.

The only problem is to stack them.
I never had any explosion with tobacco tins (in 20 years storing)
But I had with trekking canned food. It's was a little cheesburger in a tin, that blasted the tin and exploded in a thousand of crumbles, many of them stuck on the walls, the ceiling, and other food cans. I had forgotten it in my cellar, and for sure, the use-by date was largely overshot.

grimpuffer

Can't Leave
Aug 29, 2016
Thanks for the responses - I’ll just let them continue to do their thing. Was just worried at the pace they had bloated.
The bigger question is ... why trade them? It’s not rare tobacco and aged well. I would keep them
These are for me - I love some GLP blends. I don’t want to break forum rules but I have several tins I will be listing once I meet the requirements that I’m not a fan of but others will be very happy to see.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
If tins that are swollen are an indication that good things are happening within, why is it that some of my jarred tobaccos are showing negative pressure as evidenced by the centre of the lid being pulled down?
Is this not also an indication of good things happening?
Regards,
Jay.

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
Most of my tins are swollen, just due to being at 6,500 feet elevation. On a few Of my older tins, such as McClellands, they have gone from swollen to normal over the last decade. I believe it has to do with aerobic versus anaerobic fermentation, and once the oxygen is consumed, they begin to age anaerobically, and the gases are reabsorbed. I don’t know for sure, but that’s my rudimentary understanding, as the seals are intact.

Status
Not open for further replies.