PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 15, 2011
Which of these tobaccos made just by Samuel Gawith would be considered "Lakeland" style blends? I have heard that 1792 Flake is a very stout and potent blend, which I am becoming a fan of, but I have also heard tell that it is a Lakeland style blend, which I am not all that fond of, at least in my limited experience. Anyone have any experience with their Kendall Cream Flake? Is that one a Lakeland or just a regular blend?

undermidnight

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2012
I smoked Kendall Cream Flake recently and I thought it still had that "Lakeland Sauce" casing. I avoid those blends myself. Just don't like the casing.
It seems their English blends don't suffer as much (if at all). I love Squadron Leader, Commonwealth, Balkan Flake, and St. James.
Jason

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
I've never smoked it but the SG website says there is an essence added to kendal cream, 1792 is described as having a dressing of tonquin bean

Jul 15, 2011
1792 is described as having a dressing of tonquin bean
See, I had read that too, and I think I read somewhere that tonquin bean is what gives a blend that "Lakeland" taste but I wasnt really sure.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I think I read somewhere that tonquin bean is what gives a blend that "Lakeland" taste but I wasnt really sure
That's always the impression I have gotten. I have avoided anything that uses tonquin.
I have also been under the impression that G&H uses it more than SG,but I might be mistaken.

plet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2012
Denmark
To me the definition of "Lakeland" is the G&H "Ennerdale Flake". For me it was a negative experience of soapy flavors, but I know others love it!

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Grousemoor is what I think of as "Lakeland". I think the term refers more to "natural" ingredients than chemical but that's just my impression.

bubblehead33

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 17, 2012
Canada
i recently got a tin of Kendal Cream flake and it seems to have that essence to it. its also pretty potent (to me anyway) in the nicotene department.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
1792 is not like those Lakeland blends from Gawith & Hoggarth like Ennerdale Flake, Bosun Cut Plug, et cetera.
There is no floral essence - no trace of soap or perfume.
The tonquin flavouring is much "darker" and closer to cocoa with a bit of extra spice thrown into than mix than anything that could be construed as flowery...
I quite enjoy the taste, though the strength is a bit much for my liking.
I think you should try it and disregard the claims that it is a Lakeland tobacco.
While it is from the Lake District of England, it is not what we would popularly call a Lakeland IMO.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I smoke 3 SG blends, Best Brown, FVF and St James, none have the Lakeland essence. I tried the Ennerdale flake and rum flake from GH and I did not care for it. To my tastes, the Lakeland essence over powers everything, I cannot taste the Virginia flavors, just the essence. I tried SG Firedance Flake and while it did not have the Lakeland flavoring, it honestly tasted like I just puked in my mouth. It was disgusting to me, I have never been so repulsed by a tobacco in my entire career of smoking. I smoked it for a few minutes because I honestly could not believe what I was tasting, I kept thinking to my self how do people smoke this. I tried to get my son to try it but after he heard me say it tasted like puke, he wouldn't go near it. lol
I have tried two of the SG ropes XX and Brown no 4 and neither one has the essence. To me the essence tastes like a cross between soap and flowers, it is weird to me. The 1792 was a different flavor than the Lakeland essence, the tonquin bean flavor is very unique, but I am not a fan.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Gawith & Hoggarth is what you want to experience the full fledged "Lakeland" taste. Even their "unscented" tobaccos have trace amounts of the floral flavouring. (There are a few exceptions, but the majority taste that way from what I've gathered)
As cigrmaster notes, most of the Samuel Gawith blends are just good old fashioned tobacco. Kendall Cream, Grousemoor, and Bracken Flake may be exceptions but I have not had either of them.
I still maintain that 1792 is nothing like the G&H blends beyond the use of fire cured leaf. PipesNovelist I think that you should really spring for a tin while it is readily available - who knows, you may find a new favourite for a tiny investment of $11.
Personally, I think that most people make 1792 out to be a bigger and badder beast than it really is. (It is strong, don't get me wrong, but it was not as bad as I thought it was going to be)

Status
Not open for further replies.