PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

steadfast84

Lurker
Mar 7, 2014
Hello fellows,

I have recently taken up the hobby of tobacco pipe smoking. I have always wanted to try it out but never realized my desire until my good friend gifted me my first, brand new, virgin tobacco pipe. He told me it is a Molina Olive wood "Churchill" straight pipe. It has a Meerschaum insert. I have posted a few photos of my new pipe on my profile. My questions are as followed:
1- is this an actual "Churchill pipe", or does it go by a different 'correct' name?
2- I have looked all over the internet, but I cant seem to find anything on how to care for and clean a pipe with a Meerschaum insert. any suggestions?
3- My first tobacco is AmphorA mellow blend and I haven't yet tried anything else. It is the same kind of tobacco my grandfather smoked when I was a boy. I really enjoy it (especially after learning how to fill a bowl properly.) Can you guys suggest other kinds of tobacco? I am open to try anything really. One can't know if one will like something, unless one tries it out first. What are your favorite brands of tobacco?
Thanks so much for your time and advice
Cheerio and good smoking
here is a link to the photograph of my pipe.
http://pipesmagazine.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/album/10493/pipe-2-600x337.jpg

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
First, welcome! You'll find no shortage of opinions, ideas and information here, and we're (generally) a nice bunch of folks to chat with.
I did a quick google search and came up with this little URL you might want to check out. This might be the manufacturer's website: http://www.molinapipe.it/en/
With regards to cleaning meerschaum there are a couple things you'll want to consider:

1) Keep alcohol away from the meerschaum. This means you'll want to limit cleaning the bowl to gentle use of a dull knife to scrape out dottle. If, after every smoke, you do a light rub down of the inside of the bowl with a pipe cleaner, and then a paper towel ream of the bowl, you should do a good job of keeping the bowl clean.

2) Meerschaum is very pourous and will discolour as you smoke in this pipe. That's okay. You want this to happen.

3) When cleaning out the shank/stem, avoid using alcohol unless you block the air hole at the bottom of your bowl.
There are myriad choices for you to explore with regards to tobacco. I'd encourage you to head over to one of the site-sponsors (on the left hand banner of the page) and find an online retailer you like, then order a sample pack of different tobaccos or two. This will give you good variety in small amounts and let you explore to your heart's content.
You might also consider picking up a few corn-cob pipes to allow you to try different types of tobaccos without worrying about ghosting (which means tasting residual flavour/aromatics from a previous tobacco) in your one and only pipe.
Congrats on your new hobby, and new pipe. Welcome to the club.
-- Pat

steadfast84

Lurker
Mar 7, 2014
sorry, I should of posted this in the beginner pipe smoking section, but I did not notice it until after I posted here. my apologies.
Thank you for the quick response on my post. It is much appreciated. That is a Great Idea to order sample product. I do live in Canada, I'm not to sure on the laws of ordering tobacco online. I will have to check out the rules.

thehappypiper

Can't Leave
Feb 27, 2014
Welcome Steadfast. Although I have only been a member of this particular website for a very short time I smoked my first pipe nearly thirty years ago. The first thing I have to say is....you will never stop learning so your ignorance now is not actually significantly greater than it will be in ten years. :D

But....

First things first...get some more pipes! I know it sounds silly but you need at least three or four so as to allow them to rest between smokes.

Secondly, I suspect that you have but an inkling of the pleasure and satisfaction which awaits you in this wonderful world, as complex as wine or whisky...and as rewarding. Even after 7 years into my second foray in the world of real tobacco, I am still a long way from being immune to surprise. I can go a day, a Week or even at times a month between pipes and whenever I come back to them there is that "Aaaaaahh" moment which is simply sublime. So if you are not enjoying it, change it, ask for advice, mix it up. The only right way to smoke a pipe is the way which gives you enjoyment, whether that be puffing the hell out of a Falcon with 1792 or wearing white kid gloves with a meer and the 'finest aromatic'. I assume you are aware of mr G.L.Pease? While you have no obligation to become his acolyte, the spirit and d+epth of his writing and commitment to this facet of human activity is very real and very sincere. Pay attention to him.

The only thing I can say for sure right now is, you will make mistakes, you will gradually learn what you like and don't like....and these wil change over time. Don't worry. This is a new hobby, a new mindset even.

It will take time.
add

www.tobaccoreviews.com

to your favourites and trawl through those reviews. I am The Happy Piper there too.

Also, it doesn't really matter if you make mistakes. It doesn't matter if you accidentally destroy a pipe or two or ruin a smoke through ignorance. Relax, enjoy, learn and try again.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Welcome, Steadfast!
I'll just add that Amphora Mellow is an aromatic blend. Pipe tobaccos fall into two basic categories: aromatic and non-aromatic. (Non-aromatics are sometimes called "English" blends, but that isn't entirely accurate. "English" blends typically include a tobacco called latakia, which not all non-aromatics have.) While a lot of us do cross over between aros and non-aros, many tend to favor one style over the other. So to figure out where your own tastes lie, I'd suggest getting samplers of both styles. When you find the blends that really resonate with you, then you know where to focus your attention. There are literally hundreds of different blends on the market, and it helps, at least when you're starting out, to narrow the field a bit so you're not entirely overwhelmed.
And the non-aromatic world has about a dozen (or more!) subcategories, each with its own fairly distinct tobacco make-up and flavor profile. We don't all agree on where to place some blends, but there are some general guidelines for which blends are the "standard" in each category. So, again, when you find something you like, feel free to ask here for what other similar or related blends are out there.
My personal favorite brands -- not blends -- are G.L. Pease, Esoterica, Germain, Rattray, Samuel Gawith, Gawith & Hoggarth, Dan Tobacco, and Dunhill. But these are all pretty much in the non-aromatic camp; while I smoke a few aromatics, they're a "change of pace," not my daily go-to. While you might not enjoy all of the blends from all of these manufacturers, I think you'll be guaranteed high-quality leaf and well-made mixtures.
For specific blend recommendations, by category, check out this thread: http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/the-blends-to-try-by-genre.
I got my initial pipe/tobacco education from books. If you're similarly inclined, I'd highly recommend seeking out The Ultimate Pipe Book by Richard Carleton Hacker, The Book of Pipes and Tobaccos by Carl Ehwa, and The Pleasures of Pipe Smoking by Carl Weber. All of these are out of print, but you can often find them used online. Pipes & Tobaccos magazine is also an entertaining and informative quarterly print magazine that's well worth checking out; subscriptions and back issues are available at www.pt-magazine.com.
Finally, you may be interested in catching up on the Pipes Magazine Radio Show, a weekly podcast on pipes and tobaccos that's available here. Just click the "Radio Show" link above.
EDIT: One more thing: Please read the Forum rules for posting here; they're on a "sticky" on the main Forum page. You may receive a gentle reprimand for not following the rules with your thread title.
Bob

steadfast84

Lurker
Mar 7, 2014
Thanks for letting me know about the radio show. looking at that led me to find a pod-caster app for my android phone that organizes all my fave podcast from all over the web. Iv been trying to find an app like this for a few weeks now. Thanks!!

Already good things have come just from taking up this wonderful hobby.

I used to smoke ciggs, but have now switched over to smoking pipes for all my tobacco desires. So much more enjoyable. I also find that I smoke way less with the pipe. I fill a bowl once or twice a day, instead of 8 to 10 cigarettes a day. waiting for my evening pipe just makes it all that more enjoyable.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Hey steadfast, you'll find that there are a bunch of us from Canada on the forums here. Generally, if you keep your tobacco order to under 200g you won't be dinged for import taxes and duty. There are a number of threads on the forums here on the topic. You'll find all the detail you need therein.
By the way, if you're in the GTA toss me or brdavidson a PM and consider coming out for a Lakeshore Smokestacks club night.
Cheers,
-- Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.