PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

mp31guitar

Lifer
Jun 28, 2011
The Birth year dunhill, 1975, I got from dunhill has a lucite stem. I would think a pipe from 1975 would have a vulcanite stem. So my question is, does anyone know if this stem could be original or a replacement stem?

mp31guitar

Lifer
Jun 28, 2011
I'm thinking it's a replacement too storiet. I think I will send it up too Walker Briar works for another replacement as this one has some deep tooth marks.

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
I sent my 1962 Dunhill to Howard Schulte in Florida. Supposedly he's the official Dunhill repairman for the U.S. It wasn't exactly cheap but he did a hell of a job and the stem material is identical to what Dunhill uses in the factory.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
Thanks for the info on Howard Schulte. I have a '62 RootBrier that has a stem that was 'cleaned-up' and

'buffed' a little to much, making the bit at the end to thin... Gonna find and send to Mr. Schulte.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Ditti on thanks about Mr. Shulte. I have my grandfather's Dunhill from circa 1932 and I'd like to get it back to near original as possible. I'll contact Mr. Shulte.

keith929

Lifer
Nov 23, 2010
I'm no expert but I don't think Dunhill ever used lucite as material for their stems.

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
For those interested in the outcome, here is the 62 Dunhill Shell that I had Mr. Schulte repair for me. I picked it up for cheap with a broken original stem and a crappy replacement that I never liked smoking. As a result, it sat on the rack for a long time untouched until I finally decided that I couldn't have a Dunhill not being enjoyed.
The thing came back looking like a brand new pipe. Well worth the wait.
62-dunhill-shell.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.