PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Today I wanted to try out my largest pipe. I can fit almost my entire thumb in the chamber. I filled it with Lane HG-2000. Tasted fine and smoked very easily. I probably could have smoked the entire pipe without a re-light, but I wanted to see how deep my Zippo could light the pipe. I was content with my smoking experience, so I put it out about 3/4 done and then emptied the ash / dottle. I found moisture at the very bottom. What causes that?
This is the first aromatic that has done this for me. I was smoking faster than normal and trying for big plumbs of smoke. I let the tobacco dry for about 30 minutes, before loading the pipe. I have not had this problem with this blend before, but I have never used in in a large pipe. It being August, the weather was hot, but not unpleasant.
Winton

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Always heard combustion creates moisture. I began to notice even a match when lit has some moisture on the wood right under the flame. I like to dry my smoke out thoroughly too Winton. I must smoke faster than you as the dottle is always wet. My Kirsten and that new Jet Air pipe pulls actual liquid out and its not always that dark either! Maybe its the larger bowl which gave more fuel for the fire/moisture?

Mar 1, 2014
This is the same question as "why does a pipe Gurgle". Temperature difference between the air (after heating) and your pipe (usually the stem) will cause condensation.
Freeze a spoon and then watch it collect water out of the air for a minute.

thesmokingtexan

Can't Leave
Jul 11, 2014
I have found that I do not like my tobacco dried out. I like it to have some moisture however I hate a gurgling pipe. I have found that if I have more moisture in the bottom of my pipe if over tap during the smoke. I guess it is like pressing the hamburger patties on the grill. If I pres down on the tobacco it pushes the extra moisture out if I let it smoke with only light taping when needed the moisture burns off before it has time to collect.

thesmokingtexan

Can't Leave
Jul 11, 2014
Excuse my spelling I am chasing a destructive two year old around trying to prevent her from pulling everything in reach down while typing

wilson

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2013
Moisture comes from three places. First, the tobacco is about 12% water, by weight. Some are wetter than that, and aromatics often seem to be on the wet side. Second, one of the byproducts of combustion is water. Third, there is moisture in the air that you are drawing into your pipe when you puff. As the tobacco burns, water in the tobacco vaporizes, and along with the moisture in the air and that produced from combustion, is pulled down into the bowl (into the un-burnt tobacco). Because the temperature at the bottom of the bowl, and in the stem, is lower that in the combustion zone, some may condense. If too much condenses, your pipe will gurgle.
Drying your tobacco will reduce the amount of condensation, as will smoking slower (you are pulling moisture into your pipe at a slower rate and giving it a chance to re-evaporate). Smoking your large pipe faster than usual added to the moisture you saw today. You may also notice that the problem is worse on humid days (more moisture in the air) than on dry days.

carlweis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 7, 2014
I know after I smoke my peterson and I clean out the moisture catch it is NASTY! I get gurgling on most of my pipes near the end of the bowl but nothing that a slight blow back into the pipe wont fix. I clean my pipes thoroughly after each use though. Maybe I just drool alot? LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.