PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrpersian

Lurker
May 11, 2019
Imperial State of Iran
Hello all,
I just noticed something by looking at the Missouri Meerschaum Legend... or maybe it's a common thing among all Missouri Meerschaums. When you look inside the bowl from above, the shank is visible inside of it, and there's no holes like there are on the briars for example. Do I need to put anything like one of those filters inside the bowl or it's ok if I just put the tobacco right inside of it. Because of all the many videos I saw on youtube, no one mentioned anything about this when it comes to pipes or Missouri Meerschaums.
Thank you.
And here's a picture of what I meant...
61-NCXR2mjL._SL1500_.jpg

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Run a pipe cleaner through the stem and then use a paper towel to twist into the bowl after smoking. Gently tap it against your palm to remove any dottle and you'll be fine.
Eventually that inner part will begin to disappear as it burns up over time. Those cobs are tough and don't need much more than that in terms of cleaning.
I had a few cobs that I filled with pipe mud to fill those voids and make it easier to clean, etc. Not sure it was worth the effort as those pipes don't smoke any better or any worse than the ones I did nothing to. Didn't hurt anything either, so mostly it was just an experiment.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
All but MM's reverse calabash pipes have the shank extending into the bowl. Smoke it as you would any other pipe and enjoy! :puffy:

mrpersian

Lurker
May 11, 2019
Imperial State of Iran
Thank you again for such detailed information! :)

The best community ever!

It means so much to learn from such experienced pipers everything there is as a new potential pipe smoker. :) Thank you!

Jan 8, 2013
It means so much to learn from such experienced pipers everything there is as a new potential pipe smoker. :) Thank you!
Most of us were learning (and still are) from the experienced pipe smokers who were part of this forum before us. It truly is a great online community.
Welcome to the forum :clap:

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
Welcome to the forum. I will give you a bit different perspective on MM. I am an advocate of removing the shank in the bowl’s bottom and pipe mudding the bottom of the bowl. There are several YouTube videos depicting the process. It is by no means a necessity and many a smoker derive great pleasure from lighting up their new cobs and smoking (as stated above). What benefits are derived from taking this extra step? If you just let the shank portion “burn away” you are left with merely a stem hole in the bowl that is at a height that allows a greater tendency for ash to be sucked in when nearing the end of a smoke. If you replace the shank portion with a properly formed bottom and opening that has a channel at the bottom, the ash sucking is avoided. I anecdotally believe that a “cooler smoke” results from the mudding as well. I am sure this is too much (possibly unnecessary) effort for many. I like to tinker with cobs and mod them and I enjoy the smoke the extra steps provide.

Status
Not open for further replies.