PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stanwebber

Lurker
Mar 26, 2013
i am somewhat new to buying corncob pipes. i recently purchased a country gentleman straight and legend bent and have a couple questions concerning the quality and fit of the pipes. the only other experience i've had is purchasing a great dane egg bent which i'm very happy with. i've read a number of forum posts and couldn't really discern any consensus from the community here or elsewhere as to the quality control and attention to detail the company pays to ostensibly a 'consumable' (or 'disposable' if you will) pipe. here are my questions:
the country gentleman has an oddity in the bottom of the bowl. the bore down from the top is perfectly straight (maybe slightly tapered in at the bottom), but the side hole has been over-drilled to the point where a noticeable cavity has been hollowed out in the opposite wall from the birch shank. the bowl shape is tapered from the mid-point out to the top and bottom so the thinnest part of the bowl is right there. is this done by design, perhaps to increase the capacity of the bowl, or is it just sloppy worksmanship? can someone examine their pipe and confirm? my concern is the longevity of the pipe with the wall being somewhat thinner in that area as well as the altered smoking characteristics that the cavity might introduce. the birch shank in my great dane egg blocks the bottom of the bowl sufficiently so as not to allow tobacco to pool underneath in the non-combustible area. the adjacent cavity next to the birch shank in my country gentleman is wide open in comparison. thoughts?
i've read several forum posts remarking how susceptible the cob pith can be in missouri meerschaum pipes without a hardwood plug, some remarking that the bottom of the bowls are even translucent. the bent legend that i just received appeared to have a couple pinholes in the bottom of the bowl where you could see the sticker surface. i couldn't believe it myself on a brand-new pipe so i removed the bottom sticker to verify and sure enough you can pass a toothpick clean thru the hole. is this a concern? i guess i have a natural carburetor on my hands if the deterioration doesn't accelerate.
are these 'variances' (or 'defects' if you will) within the range of the normal fit and finish others observe?
Edit: Corrected capitalization in title, (Number Nine) L.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
It is very difficult to read posts when you don't capitalize. I won't even attempt to read posts that don't bother with proper capitalization. It is, as a matter of fact, against forum rules to post without at least attempting to do so. See rule 9:

Spelling, Punctuation and Grammar
9. In order to maintain the quality of our forum and facilitate communication, it is the policy of PipesMagazine to encourage the use of standard spelling, punctuation and grammar.
Members are requested to proof read their posts before submitting them. Please capitalize words in the thread titles.
You may be contacted by moderators and asked to reword posts that we deem too difficult for many to read. If there are repeated violations that appear to be due only to laziness, you run the risk of having posts deleted or being submitted for moderation before appearing on the forum.
A list of common abbreviations and acronyms may be found at http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/terminology. We can add to this list, but if you use new or obscure acronyms, please GUAH (Give Us A Hint).
British-English spelling standards are acceptable as well as American standards.
Perfect grammar is not required. We encourage everyone to do his best. Allowances will be made for those for whom English is difficult.
Welcome to the forums.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
I've had various quality issues with my MM's. My Country Gentleman has a very burned rim (which I'm told is normal, right Phillip?). Another one is VERY thin on the heel. But I dont sweat it much. I can just toss them and get new ones but perhaps being a little more discerning about which ones I pick out. I think they're great smokers though.

stanwebber

Lurker
Mar 26, 2013
capitalization? really? nevermind that i asked anything. i'll go enjoy my hobby in private. remove this post if you like.

morton

Part of the Furniture Now
May 3, 2012
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
Not to commandeer the thread but...
Z, Mike and/or Roth, do you guys ever mud your cobs? Even without flaws? I mud mine from new and have never had one burn out or give a "burnt wood" smoke. Does anyone but me do that? Roth, I realize that your cob are very old and infrequently used but did you mud them? Z, mine are badly charred on the rims but it doesn't seem to affect them at all.

morton

Part of the Furniture Now
May 3, 2012
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
That's exactly why I do it. I read a post on it quite a while ago and it seemed like a reasonable thing so I went for it. My cobs smoke flawlessly, the airhole is exactly centered and they have no burnout issues at all, even after hundreds of bowls. I have also mudded some of my estate briar pipes that were suffering from over-reaming with not quite so good results, unfortunately. :?

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
*Shrug* Sorry if it sounded prissy, but forums work better if everyone plays by the rules. That's Kevin's rule, and I completely agree with it. No valid reason not to capitalize,IMO.

Anyone who has been here a while knows I welcome everybody I can, and do my best to answer new folks questions, if i have any knowledge of the subject matter.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Jud, somebody has to be the Enforcer, just doin your job. Now, about the time you told me not to...!!%#$@

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
FWIW, I have mudded one of my cobs to fill that void on the sides of them wooded shank and it made a world of difference in it. My others I have been lucky with (have three more) in that they had no need to start with or the shank burned (and got a little pipe nail scraping) down to perfect. Now, blackened rims is another story: 3 our of 4 (the newest) have blackened to a degree at least. One was so irritating to me I actually topped it and now I'm happy with it again! :crazy:

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I don't mind the blackened rims one bit. It is an aesthetic issue only for me.
Stan, if you are reading this I would advise that you prepare some pipe mud for the bottom of your pipe. All it requires is cigar ashes, water, and a few days of waiting as it cures.
Your pipe is definitely flawed as there should never be a hole in the bottom of your pipe, but unless you can easily get it replaced at your B&M it is probably easier to fix it yourself. Pipe mud works and when it cures you will never have the same problem again...
Missouri Meerschaum's quality control is hit and miss. The most common problems are improper shank placement and damaged bottoms in my opinion. I have bought well over a dozen cobs and I still have most of them. The majority are good smokers but a few have the aforementioned flaws. They are fixable and well worth the price paid, though, so I happily take the good with the bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.