PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ben88

Lifer
Jun 5, 2015
Quebec
I'm thinking about trying a meerschaum pipe, however when I see a plastic tenon ...

Don't those melt eventually? Is there a company that uses aluminum or other metal for tenons?

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I think is was Strambach that used metal tenons, but they had a very narrow, restrictive draft hole. Just as bad are the all too common teflon/nylon tenons that make taking a puff seem like sucking a drink through a swizzle stick.

4049.jpg

I advise to select a meer with a standard briar-style mortise & tenon design.

meertenon.jpg

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
Let's see, the melting point of nylon is 400 to 600 degrees F, depending on the flavor of nylon. If you smoke that hot... no, it isn't going to melt. Seriously, your tongue will be cooked at much lower temperatures. An acrylic stem will melt at something over 300 F. Relax.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Is IMP a good choice?
I don't know. They sure are pricey though. I just used those pictures to illustrate the styles of tenon I was referring to. Draft diameter doesn't seem to be an issue for mikethompson, and his opinion is as good as any. I guess I'm a little fussy about the draft diameter. Maybe the weez will post an opinion, which would be insightful.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Is IMP a good choice?
If you can find one, they are great. Integrated mortise, and one piece stem and tenon. SPC had a closeout sale on them two years ago when the company went under, and literally got hundreds of them in selling at half price. I got this bent apple with silver accent, and couldn't be happier.
img_20150426_0202181-600x450.jpg

Reactions: drayve85

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
MeerQueen Meerschaum. Smokingpipes.com
The diamond series has the traditional tenon Mortise style. They are $240 and up. I've not had a problem with a melted tenon. They've got 16 pipes right now.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
I think ambling off the briar path can lead to some pretty worthwhile discoveries. Meerschaum is like dialing down the thumping bass on today’s pop...nudge it down a scootch and everything else becomes smoother and easier to pick out. Sure, you might loose impact from the deepest notes but in some blends the trade off is totally worth it..or not...
IMP used good quality meer blocks and “better than factory” briar style stem design. They continue to do so in their current incarnation WGM pipes. Airways are somewhere between 3 to 4 mm. Fikri Baki makes really nice briar style meer pipes, often with vulcanite. The stems and plumbing is where even the best meer pipe makers take a back seat to the rest of the world but the best is often good enough.
You can get your feet wet with a cheapy. You’ll likely see what the fuss is all about, just don’t mind the gurgle or a tight draw (not a certainty with a nylon screw tenon btw). Some folks like pressed meer found often new super cheapies or in meer lined briar pipes. I don’t care for ‘em cuz you never know what other junk they mix in.
Speaking of estates, here are three myths:
Can’t smoke meer in the cold

A caked meer will crack

Meer doesn’t ghost
My snow blowin’ pipe is meerschaum and that ol’boy is caked up tighter than a bankers nostril in a circa 80’s stall at Goldman.
To the last item, I’ve been working my way through a middleton’s cherry ghost in one of my IMP’s going on 2 years now. I think 3p’s may have finally got it licked. The greater question as to why you would want a meer for an aro, I can not answer. Seems like overkill, but to each his own and that’s one of the most awesome aspects of piping in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.