PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

vabriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 24, 2012
Many of the old LHS pipes have the term or name "Purex" on them. Does anyone what this means? Are they made out of briar? Without knowing about it, the term reminds me of Medicos "brylon" which I am not interested in. Thanks for any help!

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Here's what I found on pipedia.
LHS
Jump to: navigation, search
L & H Stern (LHS) of Brooklyn, New York. The company’s famous logo is in a diamond. These pipes are high quality production pipes. A popular and moderately priced pipe made from 1896 through the 1960's by the L&H Stern Company of Brooklyn, New York. Many of their later Sterncrest pipes featured silver bands and some were made with 14kt. gold bands as well.
The "Diamond" series appears to be their high-end line. They had a different logo which was 3 diamonds in a row, larger in the middle. They also had Allbriar models (stem and bowl both made of briar) in the Diamond line, and these tended to have a screw type fitment with stinger, like Kaywoodie or Dr. Grabows.
LHS (Stern/Purex Preferred)# 88 Bulldog photos

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
More info.
http://www.pipephil.eu/logos/en/logo-lhs.html#certifiedpurex
Purex
Losange, Diamond

Enlarge
▲ ◊ LHS (In diamond), Purex, All Briar ◊
▲ Pipe with a briar stem. Other brands with such a mouthpiece: Barnaby, Il Ceppo, Kaywoodie Allbriar and Salvatella (other wood).

vabriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 24, 2012
papipeguy- thanks for the info and links. I had actually read some of that and made the assumption that "purex" did not have anything to do with the material the pipe was made of because they all look like briar but I can't find a definitive answer. Unless I'm overlooking something. I'm looking to add a LHS and a Weber to my collection having an interest in old U.S. pipes.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
I think the purex refers to the stem/mouth piece being made of something close to lucite, but the pipes themself are briar. I have one floating around somewhere fixing to be refurbed.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I've had a few LHS pipes come through here and they were all briar,even the "Purex".

vabriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 24, 2012
Thanks for all the input everyone, that helps me out. I think I've found one I like.

vabriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 24, 2012
Pipestud commented on his LHS experience "Hell itself could not have been hotter" LOL. Any other LHS experiences? Good? Bad? Would they be similar to old Kaywoodie quality?

joeray

Might Stick Around
Mar 17, 2014
Indonesia
I still smoke using my LHS Purex untill now, is not hotter then hell, great smokes, cool, and dry. I love this LHS pipe
img-20131019-00790-600x450.jpg

img-20130929-00618-600x450.jpg

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I have two LHS pipes. One is a really nice "LHS Bakelite" with a silver band and the other is a pot shaped "LHS CertifedPurex". One would logically think the Purex would have something to do with the stem material but I can't find anything to back that up. The "Bakelite" pipe has a push in stem while the Certified Purex has a stinger. Maybe that's the key.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I posted this last week, but here is my LHS Bavarian. Smokes very well and is briar. Incidentally, LHS went out of business in or around 1960.

Status
Not open for further replies.