Pipes Magazine » Pipe Smoking Basics & Beginner Questions

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Question about Flake

(13 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

rmason

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well I just started getting into flake tobacco and have a very stupid question. I already learned how to shred it down so it's not in the jerky like state when I got it, but when I load it into my pipe the stuff will not stay lite it smoke good for a minute or so and then goes out; is the tobacco not dry enough or am I doing something else wrong. Sorry if I was not very specific.

Ron
    Posted 6 years ago #
  2. dnietosi

dnietosi

Login to Send PM

Either the tobacco is not dry enough or the packing is not proper. Too tight might cause the pipe to go off very fast because of the lack of oxygen. Too lose might be a problem too but it is not very common with flakes. Try to cube cut it and dry it out a bit.

Posted 6 years ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

What tobacco are you smoking? Some come damp right out of the tin and need to be dried out.

Posted 6 years ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

rmason

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't know what brand it is since it was from a B&M, and I got the stuff when I was out of town so I doubt if I will be back there any time soon.

Posted 6 years ago #
  5. samanden

samanden

Login to Send PM

9 times out of 10 it's a moister issue. I dry my flakes damn near to the point of dust before I load up my pipe. Since doing this I haven't had an issue with staying lit

~Slow and steady wins the taste.
    Posted 6 years ago #
  6. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sam, if you dry them too much you will lose some flavor. If you do the pinch test and they do not clump up, they are fine. I think cube cutting flakes is the most consistent for burn/flavor/coolest smoking prep there is. Yes if you rub the crap out of them, they will burn fine, but then they won't smoke as cool and thereby you will lose flavor. I have tried all the methods over the years and find for me cube cutting works best.

Harris
    Posted 6 years ago #
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

+1 Harris.

Cube cut, pinch test to proper dryness, pack w/drop-feed so when you test the draw, there's some resistance but not too much.

Posted 6 years ago #
  8. daytonsean

Sean

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I smoke Orlik quite often. I let a flake dry for about an hour and then cube cut it. If you're not familiar with cube cutting you can search it on youtube.

My soul has had enough chicken soup, it needs more TESD podcast.
    Posted 6 years ago #
  9. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

Bob Tate has a PipesMagazine article with videos that cover many of the popular methods of flake preparation.

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 6 years ago #
  10. taerin

Eric

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Cube cutting is definitely the easy method that works the most consistent, I do love the fold and stuff method the most, but it can't be used with all flakes, just those with the right consistency for it (doesn't fall apart too easy). I find Orlik Golden Sliced and PS Luxery Bullseye Flakes fold and stuff very well. I always recommend drying a small jar of it at one time, flake tobaccos seem to come the most wet and require the most drying time (harder to dry a flake).

"The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time."
    Mark Twain
    Posted 6 years ago #
  11. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

Someone had just posted a video on folding a flake perpendicular to the grain with a Z-bend,
    and then rolling it with the grain and stuffing it into the bowl. I searched but couldn't locate the post.

Posted 6 years ago #
  12. reichenbach

reichenbach

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I typically have to light my flakes 3 or 4 times before it really catches. I don't dry and I my prep is usually a semi-shred. I look at it as a trade-off for convenience.

Posted 6 years ago #
  13. samanden

samanden

Login to Send PM

Cigrmaster, I'm not sure I agree that one loses flavor with my method. Or better yet, it might be important to acknowledge that I am referring to Virginia based flakes. That indeed may be the defining line between our points of disagreement. For me, I have never had a Virginia flake that was too dry; that is to say, I have never had a Virginia based flake that was dried to the point of "flavorlessness."
    As with all things pipe related, the preferences of the smoker is fundamentally individual. I apologize if my suggestion came off as something more than a single point of view. In fact, I will take your advice and try drying my next flake to a "springy" consistency and see how it works for me. Will let you know...

Posted 6 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   catyrpelius, redone, alexnc, jiminks