PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

redbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2013
I feel like I am at the end of the bowl, I take my tool and feel down in the bowl and my first pack is always in there still with ash on top. By first pack I mean the first time I load the bowl and pack it down. It seems like this portion is more wet and doesn't keep lit. I dry my tobacco about 20 mins and still get this. Thank you for any help

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
I'll second what Irish said. Sometimes even if you think you're going slow, you can probably go slower. Takes awhile to get the rhythm. Is it an aromatic?

misterzombie

Lurker
Dec 30, 2012
When you guys mention going "slow" what does that mean exactly? Slow long sips or slow long pauses?

redbeard

Jan 2, 2013
Yes it is an aromatic, and smoke slower.... I feel like I am already going too slow and always worried the bowl is going to go out. Expecially when I am low on matches!! Lol

redbeard

Jan 2, 2013
And I don't think I'm packing too hard but who knows. I have no air restriction after its packed

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
When you say aromatics, what type are you smoking? Many aromatics are loaded with PG and will leave a wet gunky mess in the bottom of your bowl. Drying them for an hour or 2 before smoking might help a lot. In regards to slow smoking, everyone has their own cadence and methods, you will find yours with practice.

gray4lines

Nov 6, 2012
KY
Be careful of tamping too hard. That will end up packing the bottom of the bowl tighter each time you tamp.
This was my problem for a while. I think i just now am understanding how and when to tamp. Very light touch, and less often works for me, just enough to knock down the fluffy ashes.

redbeard

Jan 2, 2013
Thanks everyone, tons of good advice I will keep in mind. I beleive it is the tamping that is the problem.... Just too hard mid way through bowl. Thanks again :puffpipe:

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Like Philip suggested, tamping is the probable source of the problem.

Draft hole drilled too high could create this kind of problem too.

Fix by raising the bottom of the bowl with pipe mud.
Of course, you could find yourself a Bianchino upside-down pipe. :rofl:

redbeard

Jan 2, 2013
Oh and I'm smoking a blend from my local shop. David's Coventry... It was my first purchase. I'm thinking of looking for a Virginia tobacco next time, what do you guys think?

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
From a B&M? McClelland #27, or #22 if you smoke outdoors. For comparison to a more bread-like Va try #25.

003-041-0027.jpg
003-041-0021.jpg
003-041-0025.jpg

If your B&M carries Newminster's bulk blends, then #701 Straight Virginia is a must try.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Not sharp and grassy, nor particularly citrus-like; more on the dark, sweet side.

Once you expose your palate to a variety of Virginias you'll say, "Oh yah, definitely bready!"
You might try putting together a sampler from Hearth & Home (PipesandCigars.com)
In fact, you can make big advances in your appreciation of Virginias by calling Russ Ouellette and asking him

to put together a package of Virginia blends that will give you the full range of the genre. 800.494.9144

redbeard

Jan 2, 2013
I am looking forward to it. And wow, 6 samples, how to choose what 6!!! Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.