PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
I have but 1, a 1970's Peterson Dublin and London. The chubby Rhodesian is 1 of my favorite shapes but am about ready to relegate mine to the back racks simply because it has an incredibly shallow bowl. I can get about 30 seconds of smoking out of it before I have to re-fill. So, is it common for the bullmoose to have shallow bowls? Was it common for Peterson's to be so shallow?

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
No. Bent or straight, there's lots of room to cut a very large bowl in a Bullmoose. Something's funny with yours.

I have never heard of Pete's rhodies being extremely shallow, muchless 30 second smokes. I don't think I have even been limited to 30 seconds, which would be like one, maybe two quick puffs? I cannot even imagine how shallow that is. Shallow like a teaspoon?
Now, if you meant 30 minutes, that would make more sense, as I think 30 minutes is too short.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Cosmic, I'd call it about tablespoon depth and, yeah, Sas, looking at that I can't help but think they had a whole lot more room to have cut into it though it does have pretty thick walls. Got it off a guy @ another pipe forum years ago and, perhaps that is why he got rid of it sharing my irritation with that aspect of it.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Well, Peterson "Bullcap" shapes do have fairly shallow bowls.
The 411 and 407 shapes were referenced as the Bullcap in pre-Republic catalogs (info via Mark Irwin).
Later the shape came to be known more as a chubby Rhodesian, shape 999 "John Bull" and by other manufacturers. Although I don't think any were named/stamped "Bullmoose".
411 & 407 below

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Thanks for your info Al. Yeah, I'm not aware that Peterson ever referred to its chubby Rhodesians as bullmoose, though wonder if there is some connection between that term and Peterson's use of "John Bull." I so love its shape I suspect I'll just keep using it as I have for years despite having to re-load about 5 puffs in at least with ribbon cut tobak.

Status
Not open for further replies.