PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aquilas

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2013
This will be the first time I try to make my own blend (I don't think I can really call putting my jars of 1Q and BCA blending). Just as a fun idea, with football season coming up, I was thinking of coming up of a blend with a base of red and gold(yellow) virginias with latakia/burley/cavendish to go with my favorite team.
With those different components, would any of you happen to know a good bulk red virginia, gold virginia, latakia, burley (preferably a toasted burley if possible), and cavendish (preferably a toasted black cavendish)? Or can I not go wrong with the P&C blend-your-own route?

aquilas

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2013
Right on, Neil. I saw they had blending tobaccos and was hoping someone would say they were good. Thanks. I'll check them out.

ruscho

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 8, 2014
C&D has many different blending leaves by the ounce, I recommend going with them.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I call it mixing, not blending, because I don't use pressure or age my mixtures in particular, but I find

McClellands 5100 Va Red Cake, Lanes Burley Without Bite, and C&D's blending Latakia and Perique good

friends when I'm in the mood to mix it up. Black Cavendish adds a nice element of body and moisture when

needed, as well as flavor. Right now, for me, that's Dark Obsession from Altadis. I go easy, don't try to get

too many going at once. Two to four tobaccos is about right, with burley and Virginia going in the greatest

amounts, the others added in pinches as flavoring, then I mix it well and let it dry overnight (at least).

Usually, I end up with surprisingly good flavor. I won't say it rivals the pros, but it's vivid and pretty refined,

considering I'm just putting it together by whim.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
All of the components you're looking for are available on our website (www.pipesandcigars.com). Go to Pipe Tobacco and select Bulk and look under "Blending Pipe Tobacco" or just type in Blending in the search window.
Russ

aquilas

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2013
I call it mixing, not blending, because I don't use pressure or age my mixtures in particular, but I find

McClellands 5100 Va Red Cake, Lanes Burley Without Bite, and C&D's blending Latakia and Perique good

friends when I'm in the mood to mix it up. Black Cavendish adds a nice element of body and moisture when

needed, as well as flavor. Right now, for me, that's Dark Obsession from Altadis. I go easy, don't try to get

too many going at once. Two to four tobaccos is about right, with burley and Virginia going in the greatest

amounts, the others added in pinches as flavoring, then I mix it well and let it dry overnight (at least).

Usually, I end up with surprisingly good flavor. I won't say it rivals the pros, but it's vivid and pretty refined, considering I'm just putting it together by whim.
Thanks mso! I'll look those up.
All of the components you're looking for are available on our website (www.pipesandcigars.com). Go to Pipe Tobacco and select Bulk and look under "Blending Pipe Tobacco" or just type in Blending in the search window.
Thank you Russ! That'll definitely be a route I go after I figure out the exact measurements to my blend. Hopefully I can narrow it down to just 4 since that is the limit P&C allows.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
You're only limited to 4 tobaccos if you use our My Own Blend program. The blending tobaccos I'm referring to are individual tobaccos that you can buy by the ounce and blend at home. Most of those components are the same ones I use for Hearth & Home.
Russ

bonneville

Lurker
Aug 14, 2013
Gold-

Try some C&D Virginia Flake. Very bright in color.

Red-

Unquestionably McClelland 5100

Latakia-

McClelland has great blending Latakia

Burley-

McClelland X30 perhaps

Black Cavendish-

Lane BCA or McClelland VBC are good bets
You should be able to buy just an ounce of each if you want. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.