PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

frennchy11

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 28, 2011
I was wondering, since we aren't allowed to buy sell or trade pipes on here is there an option to trade pipe for pipe or pipe for tobacco on briar bid?

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Interesting question, Frennchy. I've already asked if I could trade pipes or ephemera like racks and holders for tobacco on the tobacco trade forum and was rejected.
Maybe, as long as you declare an opening bid for your pipe on Briarbid, you're within the spirit of the new website. However, I'd suggest asking for permission first rather than forgiveness after the fact.
Fnord

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Frenchy, to my understanding of BB, it is a for sale and auction site only. I do not believe they want trading on there. I am sure Kevin will see this and provide the low down. If you think about it, there is no way for them to make money on trading and that is a for profit site.
I do know that there are some great deals on there, and selling is pretty easy even for a computer illiterate such as myself. I figured out how to list 3 pipes and sold them both. It wasn't that hard once I got the hang of it.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
You can do trades or swaps as they call it but there is a fee. If you list a pipe you have the choice to make swaps optional.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
I figured out how to list 3 pipes and sold them both. It wasn't that hard once I got the hang of it.
That looks like my kind of math Harris LOL
The "swap" option looks like it might be an interesting one. Seems like the cost was fairly small, 5% of your opening bid amount I believe. It'll be interesting to see how/if it works out.

dhizzy

Aug 29, 2011
I am not a fan so far. I think that the removal of the BST forum has weakened the community here. A suggestion if I may; how about making the tobacco only trade forum a more general trade only forum. For instance, I once received a pipe in exchange for three tins. As long as there is no money being openly exchanged. Some guys have no interest in trying to make money on pipes and just want to do a little trading amongst themselves b/c someone has exactly what they are looking for.
I am not dogging the site, I like it but I just think that something is now missing from here, the only pipe forum I go to.

frennchy11

Dec 28, 2011
@dhizzy that was exactly my thought. As long as there is no money being exchanged i don't really see the harm. I am pretty hesitant to put up a pipe on Ebay or BB just because I don't want to sell it for so much less than it's worth. I understand that I could set a higher opening price but I would much rather just trade it for another pipe that I will use more. Just my 2 cents.

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
One can always join other forums to do trades...
I also believe that eliminating the BST forum has weakened the community...and I understand that Kevin has to make money and all that, but just to get rid of it and charge to trade pipes is not cool in my opinion...

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
I tried making this sugestion when BB first came out and so did others and received a definitive NO! With a suggestion as SJ said to "go somewhere else" if i didnt like it. Im still here though.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Yeah I totally don't understand why trading was removed either from the forums, I get that he is trying to make money, however this will not increase it in any way; all it does it weakens the community a little.

dhizzy

Aug 29, 2011
Yeah, wow ^^^. I've since done some reading and realized that I may have been out of line by posting that. But hey, when in Rome, do as the Romans do. I will adapt to the change. No biggie.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
I have a lot of respect for Kev and the mods, if anyone steps over the line they are always very respectful when they send that private message. Like you said, no biggie.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I look at Kevin's decision from a businessman's point of view since I own my own. The room as it existed had people setting up shop doing a lot of business and by passing paying a sponsors rate. A lot of money was exchanging hands an in my opinion that is disrespectful to Kevin. Making money off another mans labor and investment is not cool. Kevin put up with it for a lot of years and finally decided enough was enough. I totally understand this decision. Now he has a site that he can profit off because that is what Kevin does, he creates a business to make profits. I don't want anyone to think I am speaking for or have ever discussed this with Kevin because I have not, this is just my opinion.

dervis

Lifer
Jan 30, 2012
Hazel Green AL
I like the new site first off. However it is fair to argue a need was built for years and then taken away and replaced. The fact a community was built partly on the trades had to in itself inspire a pay site. I applaud the idea as it is brillant buisness. Do miss the straight up tradeing of pipes though.

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
I agree with Harris. Any business that succeedes needs to make a profit.
Many times I choose to deal with a local shop not because of price charged but for the respect I am shown as well as being appreciated as a customer. It is nice to visit a shop and they know your name and take a moment after the sale is completed to talk a bit.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
That and the selling made lots of extra work for the mods which really isn't fair to them. And caused lots of people to get pissed off with each other too. I miss it as well een though I'm listing on briarbid, but give it some time. This is a really good thing for pipes and pipe smokers.

Status
Not open for further replies.