PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gentlemanjerry

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 7, 2011
Hey Fellow Pipers

I just wonder if any of you have ever run across something like this. I enjoy both English/Balkan and Aromatic blends, but this last year I tried Rattray's Bagpipers Dream and just fell head over heels for this tobacco! After several tins I got a shipment and popped the tin and it was noticeably different....smelled the same'but it did not contain any of the small coins or loose flakes of the previous tins - just ribbon cut leaf....now it smokes well and has same flavor......but I have come to like the richness of the original cans. Man, I bought 6 more tins in that order and haven't opened them. Anyone experienced anything similar?

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I've been smoking Bagpiper's Dream for several years and have not noticed and change in the cut. I'll be sure to check it with my next tin. I also happen to love the stuff.

gentlemanjerry

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 7, 2011
It's Great stuff! Even though I have 6 unopened tins I'm not giving them up! .....with the quality of Rattray's product - I don't see why they would omit or substitute ingredients, like the coins.......not one coin in the whole tin! Strange. Still good tho

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
papipeguy introduced this blend to me two or three Secret Santas ago. It rose to be my #2 favorite. I've never had it come in coins, always a delicious ribbon cut.
-Jason

stbruno70

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2013
My BPD is ribbon cut.
I do not smoke many aros but as an occasional treat this is fine.
Here is the jar mine came in. (Yes, I can fall prey to clever packaging).
][/url]

gentlemanjerry

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 7, 2011
Hey Jason - You are mostly the reason I tried this blend....I read a couple of posts where you said it was good.....and wow.......it really is! My first 3 tins (from P&C) contained chunks of flake tobacco as well as small 1/4 in coins with a dark center ....maybe 35 or 40 mixed in the 100g tin.....subsequent tin was all ribbon ....still good.....but different.....just wondering!

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Here's the blurb from Rattray's:
"Hand rubbed dark VA flake, spun cut, gold, red and dark VA and our exclusive Cavendish. The full bodied, spicy flavours of the loose and pressed tobaccos are enhanced with fine brandy and a host of flavours which remain a Rattray family secret".
So it sounds like its a mixed cut, with some "spun cut" and some "loose and pressed" tobaccos.

gentlemanjerry

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 7, 2011
stbruno70 - That my brother, is one fine tobacco jar! I've always had to wait(sometimes for months) until a shipment of bagpipers dream came in ....... I've never seen it sold that way ..... if you don't mind disclosing, who did you get it from?

Jerry

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
That jar is awesome, stbruno70!
I'm amazed that my affinity for this blend inspired you to try it, gentlemanjerry. I'm just in shock that someone actually paid attention to my rambling and found some enjoyment from it. Thanks!
-Jason

inteus

Might Stick Around
Sep 8, 2013
SF Bay Area, CA
I bought a tin of this two months ago or so, and I really enjoyed it. Smoked very well, great taste, great note, great burn!
Edit: My tin was all ribbon cut.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
A bit off topic but, I don't know why but bag pipes (and clowns) creep me out. I would never smoke it just because of the name and image besides any tobacco with a "secret" "host of flavors" sound like it would make me sick. 8O

stbruno70

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2013
@gentlemanjerry and @lordnoble:
Thank you gents.
I found the jar at Telford's Pipe and Cigar in Mill Valley, California, and have never seen anything like it elsewhere. Then again, that shop is full of baccy I have never spotted anywhere else. Fortunately the Golden Gate Pipe Club meets there so I get to drool on their stock at least once a month.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
daveinlax, don't let the name put you off. There's no secret about the flavor with BD it is a Va with cognac. Great taste, stays lit and the aroma is quite captivating. I gravitate toward latakia blends but this is my sweet treat and I'll never be without a few tins. If you PM me I'll send you a sample to try. Everyone I've sent it to likes it and eventually buys it. Let me know if you're interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.