PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

seakayak

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 21, 2010
I recently purchased an estate pipe that was originally part of a set. The leather case was still in the antique shop with six recessed spaces and only this one piece in a recess clearly designed for its unusual shape, with a heel reminiscent of 17th century clay pipes.

662cb4f3.jpg

The only letters are 'TD' are on its wide sterling band

d6e056e9.jpg

The only other marking is a crown icon on the shank.

37365772.jpg

And the only mark on the leather case is on the silk liner

d13e406e.jpg

Can any of you deduce anything about the maker or country of origin from these clues?

marmal4de

Lifer
Feb 20, 2011
Richmond, BC
That's stunning, the band really brings it together, and that looks like hallmarking which will make dating, and country of origin easy enough to figure out.

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
On the shank you have an anchor, a lion walking, and the letter "a". It appears to be made of silver. According to English Halmarkings the anchor is for the city Birmingham, the lion passant is for 925 sterling(a silver clasification), and the "a" indicates the year 1900.

So its probable that the Pipe is from Birmingham England and made possibly in the year 1900 or the 1900 century.
There was a British Pipe maker specializing in clay pipes with the markings TD.

marmal4de

Lifer
Feb 20, 2011
Richmond, BC
Research says so far, its from Birmingham (anchor), and obviously England (lion), the a, must not be an a, but it does kinda look like the q for 1971.

seakayak

Sep 21, 2010
You gentlemen are remarkable! Thanks for the initial data. Any other guidance from the community would be much appreciated.

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
seakayak, you scored a briar cutty the likes of which I've been looking for for quite some time.

What a great find and if you ever tire of it, well.... you know, let me know!
Nice find with out a doubt!!

seakayak

Sep 21, 2010
It smokes as good as it looks, romanza...very dry. The pipe holds about 45 minutes of tobacco at a casual burn. I'm a collector, but wouldn't own a piece I couldn't smoke. The lady in the antique shop let it go for $45. Seems my instincts were correct this time.

seakayak

Sep 21, 2010
Throwryuken: any other expert opinions are more than welcome. And OTC...What's a "briar cutty"?

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
And OTC...What's a "briar cutty"
LOL

That's OTD I'll have you know! (-;
hehe

Cutty as in the shape, briar as in... you know (-:
Specified briar because that shape is inspired by early clays.

Looking at it again though it doesn't really have as much of a cant to the bowl as I usually think of for a cutty. More of a Footed Dublin p'raps?
Regardless, love the thing, it's a great find SK!

aussielass

Oct 18, 2011
Style of embellished Silver is very Victorian, but ....
http://www.silvercollection.it/englishsilverhallmarks.html

docrx

Jan 9, 2011
The marking on the stem(crown with a D inside) makes me think it might be Danish make.Although Cadogan has a royal soverign brand,English. Big help huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.