PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Did the design of the tenon-mortise connection in Amboseli Meerschaum pipes change dramatically over the production life of the pipes? Until recently, all of the specimens I had seen used a threaded tenon-mortise connection in which the tenon was metal. Just the other day, though, I saw one that had a "reverse tenon" set-up in which the metal tenon protrudes from the shank and the mortise is cut into the stem. At first I thought the tenon was simply stuck in the shank and had pulled free from the stem. Further examination, however, suggests that the pipe was not broken, instead having an actual "reverse tenon" design. Has anyone else seen this version of the tenon-mortise connection in an Amboseli pipe?

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Could a moderator please correct the spelling of Meerschaum in the title? My apologies for drinking too little coffee today.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
The Tanganyika Meerschaum Corporation, the parent company for Kiko also made all of GBDs Meerschaum pipes. In fact some of the Kiko pipes offered under their own label have GBD style numbers. None of the four I have (GBD) came with a reverse. I saw a recent Ebay offering of the same pipe I have under the Kiko brand an it didn't have one either. I don't know if any of this helps but at least it will give you some frame of understanding to build on. It's my understanding that African Meerschaum hasn't been available for some time so recent production isn't likely. Hope that helps.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
gloucesterman, Thank you for sharing your experience with these pipes. I think the Tanganyika Meerschaum Corporation may only have made the Amboseli meerschaum pipes for two decades, and maybe not even that long. I was surprised at the possibility that they would have varied their stem-shank connection that much over such a short time. I know they made some pipes for Peterson with faux military mounts, but that is, as far as I knew, the only departure from the original design.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
When you look at the connection it's obvious that it couldn't be done in as a repair or the meerschaum would defiantly show that kind of fill. It had to be made that way. Maybe it was an experiment but I would think the meerschaum would be a lot more subject to wear than the bit resulting in a loose stem over time when done in reverse. I do have a Turkish Meerschaum that features a reverse tenon but it has a screw in receptacle on the stummel side. I don't recall ever seeing a tenon that inserted directly into the meerschaum. But then again, I'm no authority on Meerschaum pipes.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
gloucesterman, I am with you on this one. A repair would show, and a reverse tenon makes sense. Alas, I am no authority, either.

flintlock

Lurker
Feb 27, 2015
Good morning, Burok! I have 3 KIKOs, one of which has the reverse tenon exactly as you describe. The pipe is a Meerschaum lined rusticated briar #286, a full sized billard. Gotta be factory! The other two are the more typical screw tenon. Hope this helps. Flintlock

Status
Not open for further replies.