PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

metalmilitia

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 14, 2013
I have a cob that I rotate with my briar. I have been using the dr grabow filters with it, and while the filter does its job, it doesn't take long for it to become soggy with moisture at which point it is similar to trying to draw from a bowl that was packed too tightly. Normally, I replace it when this happens. however, the other day i was caught out and about without an extra filter. So I simpy removed it and smoked filterless. After the bowl was finished I attempted to remove the stem and discovered that it had grown very tight. I assumed the shank had swollen from moisture accumulation so I let the pipe rest for quite some time (about a week) before smoking it again. the condition improved but only slightly. should I be concerned? should I always use a filter for this type of pipe?

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
IMHO, the filters aren't worth the trouble. First thing I do when I buy a pipe that has a filter is toss it in the trash. That goes for everything from my MM cobs and Ozarks to Savenellis! If you properly dry your tobacco, and control your cadence, moisture should not be a big deal.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
I do not use filters in my cobs. Did your stem melt at all? I have melted a few when I first started smoking a pipe(much too quickly).
I like the forever stems in a standard cob. They seem to keep a better fit over time.
http://www.walkerbriarworks.com/html/_forever__stems.html
If you don't want to go that route, you can always scrape away a little bit of the inside shank with a thin dull knife. Don't over do it though or it may become too loose when the moisture in the shank dissipates completely. Welcome aboard!

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
I rarely use a filter in any of my pipes but when I do I use Balsa filters, they seem to work quite well and are super cheap to make yourself.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Can always get a Forever Stem from Walker Briar Works, then you would not have to worry about the filter anymore. Just a thought.

metalmilitia

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 14, 2013
thanks for the input guys. as Rothnh said, ash in the mouth...yuck. that's y I had been using a filter. but with all the suggestions I think I might try another route

reichenbach

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2012
West Park, NY
Did you try to remove the stem while it was still hot? Also, don't put your pipe in the freezer if it is still hot because the pipe breaks, the ice melts and the electric bill goes up. I know that is not what roth suggested but what you described sounds like you didn't wait long enough. I am notoriously dense after 10 PM though. If the pipe is cool and it is still stuck, by all means, put it in the freezer.
If you are smoking a lot and are only rotating two pipes, could be some sort of build up? The cob will become moisture-laden so you might be on the right track there. Get a few more cobs so your pipes can rest. An overworked pipe is a cranky pipe and will make trouble. I was just saying on another thread that I overworked a couple of my cobs and they are still soggy after 2 months of air drying.
For the record, I smoke both filtered and non-filtered pipes and use the filters in the pipes where they are meant to be used. Besides the draw being adjusted, I smoke fast and smoke in my mouth ups my saliva production. I've actually gotten pipes with filters in them to gurgle. I find it more of a pain in the ass to run a pipe cleaner through a pipe than it is to change a filter every two to three smokes.
One more point, I use Medico filters even in my Grabows. The MMs come with a Medico filter so that's the filter I use for everything.

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
another cheap option if you run out of filters is to roll up a piece of paper and put it in place of the filter, you would be amazed how much moisture a "Post It" can suck up. :crazy:

wilson

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2013
I always ditch the filter. I have replaced my stems with forever stems and they don't hold a filter. I do notice that the stock stems don't fit as well as the forever stems.
If you want to trim anything, I would lightly sand the tenon, not whittle away the stem. Just in case you want to replace with a forever stem. In case it is not obvious, I am a fan of forever stems.
Even so, it sounds like you are getting excessive moisture. What are you smoking? Perhaps you need to dry it a bit.

dennisfbird

Lurker
Aug 25, 2013
I was told in my far past to always take out any filter including the metal ones found in some pipes. That said I bought a MM a couple of weeks ago with a filter..took it out and laid it aside.... after spitting out the ashes I replaced the filter and no ashes and a somewhat smoother taste (really cheap tobacco from an Indian Smoke Shop). I also tried the rolled up newspaper trick and was surprised at how well it worked... and thanks for the tip about cutting the filter in half.... great idea.

pchitti

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 26, 2013
Central Texas
yeah the medico filters are just rolled paper with a plastic cover to hold the shape.
I was told today at a BM pipe shop that using the corn cob without the filter can warp the tenon. I kinda laughed and just continued on, less than a buck to replace the stem or replace with a forever.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
+1 drwatson
The Forever stem changed my whole outlook on MM cobs. Dave at WalkerBriarWorks is a great guy and he has a lot of stem choices if you wish to "customize" your cob.

roadqueen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2013
Here's another vote for going filter less. I've never used one on any of my MM Cobs, nor on my Medico pipe.
If you guys are getting ash, you're sucking too hard. :wink: Try being a bit gentler. :lol:

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Not going to touch Roadqueens post, but +1 Roths, ashes do suck with cobs. & love my Savs with filters I have decided

Status
Not open for further replies.