Quest to find something as good as Silver flake!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

vink

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 31, 2015
Longueuil, Quebec
So title says it all, Solani silver flake is my favorite tobacco and I want to find something that I would crave as much! I tried a lot of stuff from ODF to Reiner LGF, and enjoyed a lot of those but can't find something that I like as much. What I like about Silver flake and that I would want in another blend is the mix of a nice natural sweetness, a little spiciness /earthiness, something not to full and really smooth, with just the perfect nic hit!
I need new recommendations now for my next buy!

stickframer

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2015
Wessex Brigade Campaign Dark Flake might fit the bill. It's got a molasses like sweetness but the topping fades as it dries. It has some spice and earth, and I'd say it's medium in both 'fullness' and nic.

ember

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2014
I have never tried silver flake but what you are describing in taste I could recommend OGS, McClellan Navy flake or. Rattray Marlin flake...

Happy smokes

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
The question is how many tins of silver flake do you have cellared? If you've found something that you like so much, then the question is how many tins should you have cellared?

vink

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 31, 2015
Longueuil, Quebec
The question is how many tins of silver flake do you have cellared? If you've found something that you like so much, then the question is how many tins should you have cellared?
Lol. I got about 350g for now. I'm not smoking that much, about a bowl or 2 a week so that's ok for now, I'll surely buy more soon, but I want to find other baccy I'll enjoy as much!

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I would say perhaps try McClellend's Blackwoods flake, if you do though make sure you pop the tin, put the plastic cap back on and let it sit for around a month. It's a very tangy, slightly spicy, naturally sweet Va. I'd also recommend getting some McC's Christmas Cheer while it's available, it comes out once a year as a special edition, cured for 5 years before it gets tinned, it's always a treat.
Also Rattray's Ol'Gowrie sounds like it would be up your alley.

vink

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 31, 2015
Longueuil, Quebec
Thx! But now I'm wondering if I should get more Silver flake lol!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Won't be disappointed. Came across it looking for a less expensive alternative to Silver Flake. Let me know what you think.

jmatt

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 25, 2014
I got my first tins of Silver Flake about a month ago and I agree - it's a wonderful blend. Close probably gets you Orlik Golden Sliced and perhaps a Rattray's product - Hal O' the Wynd or Old Gowrie. I have all of the above open right now. But honestly - buy more Silver Flake.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
A couple blends come to mind:
GLP JackKnife Plug

Newminster #403 Superior Round Slices

Rattray's Stirling Flake

Orlik's Dark Strong Kentucky
Welcome to the forum and happy hunting! :puffy:

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Thx! But now I'm wondering if I should get more Silver flake lol!

Well if you only have 350 grams, think of the aging potential if you buy more, and honestly if you've found that perfect flake then you should seriously stock up as it will just get better and better with age. Have you tried escudo? Also Brigham Klondike Gold gets good reviews here. I'd say try Capstan but that just went up to 16$ a tin, which is out of my price range also. Which is just more reason to stock up on silver flake. A few cigar brands also went up 10% where I get cigars from today too. The latest price increase on MacBaren affected alot of other brands such as 3 nuns, Capstan, etc... So make sure you have a good stash of silver flake while it's the same price. I would recommend some bulk tobacco though, like G&H bright cr flake and Brown flake unscented are some of my favorites, and really affordable in bulk, plus it's top quality stuff.

vink

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 31, 2015
Longueuil, Quebec
A couple blends come to mind:
GLP JackKnife Plug

Newminster #403 Superior Round Slices

Rattray's Stirling Flake

Orlik's Dark Strong Kentucky
I was thinking of buying GLP triple play instead since it look more VA forward then JKP. Does Orlik Dark Strong is way different from PH dark Strong? Because the liquorice flavour is not a favorite for me!

vink

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 31, 2015
Longueuil, Quebec
So I ended up buying 1 tin of each:

-SG best brown flake (not related to silver flake but never tried it)

-Klondike gold

-GLP triple play

-Mc Christmas cheers 2015

-Mc Blackwood flake

Status
Not open for further replies.